fa50

I just bought a suzuki fa50 that was in storage for 2 years. I changed the spark plug, drained the old oil, but just put new gas on top of the old gas. Sometimes it runs fine. But about every other day it bogs and dies when it warms up. Then it wont start for a while. Could it be the gas? How long should I let it warm up before I drive it? There is usually a little white smoke from the exhaust for a bout 5 minutes when I start it. I usually wait til its clear to drive it. Thanks for any help.

Re: fa50

Try starting with the petcock at the PRI position when you start it up, especially if it has been sitting for a couple of days.

It should start up and idle right away if it's well tuned.

You may have to adjust the idle mixture screw some till it behaves.

I start mine up and ride it with verry little warm up.

Rusty

thanks ill try. I have the idle mixture screw 1 3/4 turns out. I just put it like that to match stock settings. I'll mess with it.

Thats the stock setting which is the starting point for tuning.

Mine would not stay started and took 10 min. to get it to go till I adjusted the mixture.

If it sits for a few days the fuel in the bowl can dry up and the petcock is vacuum activated so the fuel won't flow well till it starts running so you put it on the prime position for a constant fuel flow to prime the carb and it should start right up.

Rusty

Thanks Rusty for the advice. I messed with it a little and its running a lot better. I think I finally burned up the old gas because its running great now on a full tank of premium! I didn't want to have to take anything apart on it because its so nice looking. An '86 and it looks as though its had anything taken apart on it yet!

You lucked out!

Usually folks take off a bunch of stuff intending to "Fix" it and then loose interest and parts.

Keep at it and you will have it spinning like a top!

They are tough little machines.

Rusty

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account