Puch Maxi idles like CRAZY

Recently I was having an idle problem so I cleaned the carb with Carb Cleaner and now the idle is CRAZY high. When I start up my ped it spits out lots of white smoke and then starts gunning.

I'm not sure what to do?

Does anybody know a moped mechanic in Queens?

Re: Puch Maxi idles like CRAZY

There is a fuel/air mixture screw on your carb. Make sure its not all the way in or it would cause the bike to idle high. Also, make sure everything is put together right and your throttle is not sticking open.

Jason Luther /

there is not an idle mixture screw on a puch. i bet your carb is just sticking open a little. look into your carb while you turn the throttle and see if the slide moves up and down freely and goes all the way to the bottom (it will always stick up a tiny bit)

Puch moped use Bing carbs and there is definitely an idle adjustment screw (throttle slide stop).

Jason Luther /

yes they do, an idle adjustment screw. which is a screw with a cone tip that raises the slide a little bit as you turn it in. this is not a mixture screw like you stated. whos your daddy

Either way the screw adjusts the idle by varying the amount of air that enters the carb at closed throttle.

Ben Van Zoest /

The throttle cable should have a little free play (slack) between the grip and air slide, the adjustment is on the curved lead-in tube on top of the carburator this prevents high idle..

make sure you didnt break the gasket on the top half of the carb

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account