cure for a stripped sparkplug hole?

i was fixing my grandfathers lawn mower. its a murray with a briggs and stratton 4 stroke. the sparkplug hole stripped and the sparkplug shot out of the head and made a hella loud noise upon ignition. i dont know if replacement heads are made so i was wonder how good would it be if i had someone weld the head drill it and retap it for a sparkplug? will weld hold up to the temperatures?

Re: cure for a stripped sparkplug hole?

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Those are very common engines, call any lawn mower shop and ask. Jim.

You can't weld on a head the metal will just chip right away. I have had this same problem. They sell heads at mower shops for around $26.00.

ooh i didnt even know there were mower shops. its an old mower. b&s is popular but i dont know how to find parts for their old engines

Hey Joe. I Googled "newton ma lawn mower shop". Found this:Results 1 - 10 of about 78,000 English pages for newton ma lawn mower shop Jim

Heli-Coil

Yep. They make heli-coils for just this reason. I'm pretty sure most hardware stores will have them. I've never used one for a sparkplug, but I put one in my moped to fix an oil plug that was stripped and it worked like a charm.

whats the difference between helicoil and any other tap/die set? the problem is i need to tap the hole to make it fit a sparkplug. so i wont be tapping a bigger hole in it

With a heli coil, you find the right size, drill the head, tap it with the tap and drill bit included, and thread in the new threads. Thet puts it back at the stock size.

I have no idea what a heli-coil costs or how long it takes to do the work but IMO this seems cheap and no bits of metal will fall into ypur cylinder. Jim.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/6/49377/49377/

Author: Steve (---.patmedia.net)

Verified User: parcel

Date Posted: 05-30-06 19:34

You can’t weld on a head the metal will just chip right away. I have had this same problem. They sell heads at mower shops for around $26.00.

the new thread has to be really strong. i do not want the sparkplug shooting out the head again. that was scary

Heli-coil's do work, they make specific 13/16 helicoil kits.

Worst comes to worst, give me the model number off the DECK and the engine model number an ill order it for you (i work at a lawnmower shop)

who knows, i might even have the head in stock.

http://www.toolsnextday.ltd.uk/Helicoil_Kits/helicoil_usage.htm

this site says it can be used for spark plugs. instead of buying a new head, maybe i can save money by doing this. now i just have to know what size to use and where to order

If its a B&S motor it might be cheaper just to buy a new cylinder head.

Grey

yeah lol thanks i just looked at the prices for the sparkplug repait kit. it costs more than a puch head does!

my father bought an electric lawn mower which makes me sad. i dont wanna see this lawn mower go to waste.

I hope its not a B&D!!! otherwise keep your recipt handy :P

I just finished adding solar panels to my battery powered lawnboy (which i got for free because the batteries were bad and someone chucked it). Pretty friggen sweet, you never (have to) plug it in, OR ADD GAS!!! (take that toyota...with your "free energy" hybrid lies!)

Panels of course are securily attached, but easily removable in case you want to fold it up, change the blade etc.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account