Damn it all.

Ben Elsewhere /

Couldn't get her to start last night, tweaked the carb, cleaned the fuel line, some fresh gas, and she goes.

Go to start her up after some fresh oil this morning.... No go. A little starter fluid, she roars to life.... and spews smoke out the tail pipe.

Keep in mind this is a 4 stroke indian.

Off to pull the engine and check gaskets.

Damn it all.

Re: Damn it all.

steveintoronto /

my honda always shot a _healthy_ cloud of whitish smoke out of the pipe when she turned over. must be a _tiny four-stroke-choke_ thing?

Ben Elsewhere /

oh noo. this time it was burning-oil-whatthafuck? I pulled the cylinder head, and all was caked with burnt up oil sludge... cleaned, new gaskets, reassemble.

then I snapped off a bolt in the block. down to the drill press... then to the hardware store for a tap and new bolt.

long story, but it's all back together. I just can't get it to fire up. I suspect the carb, the timing, or the valve rockers, or even the valves themselves.

lots of work to do... unfortunately i have to pack up my life so I can move. fortunately its to vermont.

anyhow. i'll update if I can figure out any specific symptoms of the engine troubles.

Ben Elsewhere /

so, the story was twofold.

1) i didn't tighten down the cylinder head quite hard enough... so I was lacking compression, and leaking oil.

2) the munged up flywheel key i asked about in an earlier thread allowed the flywheel to slip ever so slightly, seriously f*cking up my timing.

anybody know if I can replace that flywheel key? it looks like it comes out... if not, anybody know where I can get a new crankshaft? or have one to sell.

last two questions might go in a new thread if this one falls below the radar...

rock on.

--ben

Where are you moving in VT? I'll be dragging my fleet out to the Brattleboro area (southern VT) in July.

KTF

Ben Elsewhere /

heading out at 8am tomorrow! straight up to burlington. maybe we'll ride someday.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account