HELEP!!!PLZZZZZZZZZ!

I have a 1979 Vespa Ciao that I have not been using for about a year or so. It has good compression, new (gapped) spark plug, the spark plug sparks (cuz I got shocked holding the metal cap on it) and the horn works which means I got electricity. I CANT GET IT TO WORK! I am going to flush the fuel tank and clean the carb this weekend cuz the carb might be varnished inside. Any suggestions? IS THERE A FUEL FILTER IN MY MOPED? The fuel line is one piece of tubing going from the fuel valve to the carb. HELP??????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re: HELEP!!!PLZZZZZZZZZ!

yeah.. clean the carb and it'll be ok.. gasoline varnish.

there is a fuel screen in the tank, perhaps one in the petcock itself (the valve), and perhaps one in the carburetor. There's no need or good reason, imo, to have an additional, restrictive in-line filter. The screens allow tiny crap to pass through to be burned, and the screens can be easily serviced.

Vespa didnt think the bike needed more filters either... speaking of which, GO HERE and get the Ciao Service manual.

There are two filters on your Caio. One in the Fuel tap, one under the cap where the fuel line connects the carb.

Hey Nick make sure you have the right spark plug in there. I was working on my tomos today and it wouldn't start up. After I looked everything over and wasted two hours I just put in a warmer plug and it fired right up. I was using a 7 heat ratin gplug and then I put in the 6.

Thanks! I am going to take apart the carb on sunday. A jet must be plugged up. I got a new fuel line too!

also, after you try and start it, pull the plug and see if it's wet. If it isn't you know you have a fuel delivery problem.

ya, the jet was clogged! It runs GREAT now! Thanks for help!

very cool..

clean and/or fix the fuel stuff upstream too.. asap .. Another tiny piece of crap gets into the float bowl and yer stuck again.

ya, I was riding yesterday and my ped would stall instantly when I shut off the choke. I took apart the carb and "lo and behold" there was crap in the jet. Runs great now though.

steveintoronto /

lesson learned. bravo.

It should go like 25 to 30MPH but it only goes 20MPH! Any suggestions? Bigger exhaust?

hey sorry a little offtopic, don't mean to hijack your post Nick but what will happen to the engine if someone a piece of rust bypasses the filter, goes through the jet and into the cylinder while its running?

Something small enough to get through the filter and the jet will not harm anything.

thanks

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account