Vespa

Hello mopdepeople. I just bought my self a vespa, but there are some problems with it and alot of questions. Would you like to visit this site and answer my questions there or read it there and answer her? I say thanks now so i dont have to do that 10mil times later.

My site: link text break>

Here is a picture of it:

Vespa

Question 1. I'm sure there used to be a piece of plastic there that held the cables in place against the fender.

Question 2. I'm guessing those are your brakes. There should be a cable attached to them that runs to your handlebars.

Question3. Looks like a clutch lever but I'm no Vespa expert. On most mopeds, you pedal and then pull up on the clutch lever to engage the engine. When the engine starts, you let go of the clutch and never touch it again. There should be a cable that goes from the lever to the engine somewhere.

This might be helpful:

http://www.mopedriders.org/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=50

Re: Vespa

ok:D Now i know abit more.. thanks.. but on Q.2 it isn't the brake thing cause thats a few cm under that again..

Isn't there any one who can help me out more? I need all the help as I can get.. I must have my baby runing you know=P

1) A little rubber thingy needs to go in those three holes. It makes sure that the cables don't scrape off your paint from the fender.

2) The plastic knob can be used to put the "transmission" in neutral. This way you can use your ped as a bicycle. Also easy to use when the engine is broken and you need to walk home, makes walking with it a tad lighter.

3) That's the decompression handle. In the cilindre head, there is a little valve which shorts the compression chamber to the exhaust. Is there to make starting a little easier. Usually you pull the handle, use the pedals until the clutch engages, and release it then. Can also be used to turn the moped off.

grz Thijs

ow yes, to re-engage the transmission, you need to pull the little lever (which leans against the little plastic knob) downward, and walk a few steps backwards with the ped. The knob will shoot out again, and the transmission is re-engaged. If the knob won't come out, which happens quite a lot, you will have to pull a little at it, while doing the stuff I mentioned above in this post.

ohh thanks! You moped folks are great!! ME and a friend have tried to get it to start this evening, but it wont.. We was going to take the engine off the frame, but the axle to the ignition thing, or what that is called. stopped in the frame, and there were no way to get it off!

Bruce Wilkinson /

I hope you are mixing 2 stroke oil with the gas. 50 parts gas ,1 part oil.

Jeppjepp! I do mix 2stroke oil with the gas. Is there somebody who knows how to get the engine off the frame?? Is there a way to take off the axle for the ignition thing. It's the only thing that stop the engine from coming off.

What axle? The crankshaft? If all the bolts are out (and exhaust, clutch and carb removed) you should turn the cilindre and head downwards, and when it's almost pointing straight to the ground, the engine has to make a sort off corkscrew movement to come out. Be careful not to mess up the threads on the crankshaft.

grz Thijs

OK:D yeah i ment the crankshaft, just didn't remamber it's name! thanks.

I like the European floorboards.

Leon Swarmer /

You have taken the nut off the end of the crankshaft and the front pulley assembly haven't you?

Why do you want to pull the engine out already?

Many things are better tested with the engine in.

Did you read Fred's guide under resources/srticle at the top of this page?

Yeah we wanted to clean the engine. But since we didn't get it off, we tried to clean it as good as possible. And it turned out good! So i don't have to take it off anyway:D I found out wath that plastic thing on Q 2 was. I just sprayed it wd40 and it came loose. Thanks for helping me out with that, i tought that it just was some kind off a brushing. We have bought a new spark cause the old one were a bit outworn. And a new cap for the spark.

I have added 2 Q, to my little help site:D just a chipi but it works. Any one who can take a look?:D I also added the best answers for my Q on the site!

my questions this time is about electrics, witch i don't know that much about..

"link text":http://fankii-t.piczo.com/?preview=y&g=11299018&cr=3&rfm=y

Leon Swarmer /

#5. I was just inside that little grommet two days ago.

I am thinking that your wires are not the right colors. they certainly aren't for a Grande anyway.... To get to the inside of that grommet. you have to take off the drive pully and carb, drop the engie, take of the fan shround, pull the flyweheel off with a puller and then you may access the wires. IF you choose to do this ( and I wouldn't unless you have to)...you should also buy a new condesor . points and crankshaft seal.

Once you have the flywheel off it's a breeze to change them, and you might as well do it all right the first time.

Quwstion #4. I am thinking you are correct in your assumption that the white wire to the coil goes to the spade connection near the 2 wire grommet, but the moped I've been working on is a few miles away.

I wish I spoke in any other language as well as you do in English.

Leon

missing lights..Bruce??

Leon Swarmer /

Hmmm, some peds need brake lights operable to get spark to the engine.. not sure about Vespas. But since yours appear to be all gone, I'd be tempted to rig some up.

Mybe Bruce can answer this one. He has much more Vespa experience than I.

Re: missing lights..Bruce??

Bruce Wilkinson /

It looks like a lot of the wiring is missing along with the tailpipe /muffler. I'm not sure if you can get it started when the lights and switches are missing. Try seeing if you have a spark by following Freds guide. I sent a manual to your email. Did you get it ? Can you open it ? bruce

I can check it out now. So I need all electric stuff up running, like horn, lights and that stuff?? Before the ped will start??

My pipe are gone, and the lady don't know where it is, so i have to buy a new one. And my lamp up front is broken, when the lady fell over who had it before me, she bent the bar end smashed the lamp.

Are there any other who know the answer to my Q on 4and5?? I already got one answer but I need at least two more to compare! Any one who can check it out?

I bought a new spark her the other day. But when i did take a closer look, the spark was marked with som letters and the number 9, and the old one on the vespa is the same letter with a number 5. Is there a big different? Can i use it?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account