Replacing freewheel on a Motobecane

When I roll or pedal my 50V with the engine off, I can hear a lot of noise coming from behind the driven pulley. I thought it was a bad bearing, but after looking at the repair manual it seems that this pulley and the pedals don't have any ball bearings, just bushings. Is that the case? Anyway, now I think it's coming from the ratchet-and-pawl/freewheel mechanism in the gear behind the pulley.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone's replaced this part before, if there's a source for replacement ones other than by parting out another bike, if they ever need to be taken apart and greased, etc. Or are they always noisy? Thanks for any input you may have!

Re: Replacing freewheel on a Motobecane

they are the same as a bicycle. you can switch em right out

Zach, it's pretty awesome that you're in Argentina finishing up the world's longest moped ride, and you're taking the time to give me advice. Thanks a bunch, and have a safe trip home!

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

if you dont have a freewheel tool you can put your wheel ina vise and put an awl in the pin hole. just tap the awl with a hammer and it should break the freewheel loose.

Wait, I'm not talking about the freewheel in the wheel hub, I'm talking about the one inside the gear on the left side of the pedal shaft. Maybe I wasn't clear about that. I know bicycles don't have a freewheel in the bottom bracket, just one in the hub... will a standard bicycle freewheel work here?

If you're talking about the sprocket that's part of the pulley assembly, I can't imagine it would need to be replaced. I say just take that whole assembly apart, clean everything, grease it all up, and put it back on. Then, use a grease gun to inject grease into the pedal shaft (there is a brass grease fitting on the end of the shaft). Hope this helps!

There are needle bearings inside the driven pulley. They need grease like your engine needs oil. Take David's advice and get it all lubed up.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account