A3 Tomos expert needed...

Maybe it doesn't take an expert to figure this out, but I have questions on the shimming for this engine.

Ok there are a bunch of shims that I have and I would like to know how to determine which shaft needs shimming. I believe that I only need help with the washers that go on just before putting the transmission cover on itself.

Pedal Shaft: How do I know when too much play is too much? I have really thin shims that go on this shaft. Can someone tell me what's up?

Gear shaft: or the shaft with the gears on it: There is a really small washer that goes on the end of this shaft, what happens if I don't have it on or use one that is too big? Should there also be a washer on here that is about as big as the circum. of the bearings? There was one on there when I took it apart.

Clutch side of the crankshaft: I know there is a shimm inbetween the clutch drum and the outside clutch weights, but should there be a small washer at the end like there is on the gear shaft?

I'm getting some grinding in my oil. My engine shifts fine. I have play in the pedal shaft. The gears line up with the gears on the clutch drum fine when everthing is pushed way over to the magneto side of the engine, but when I put the cover on I have no idea how things line up. How do I tell?

I also found the pedal shaft chain to be too tight, so I relpaced it with one that is not so tight. Other than that, I can't figure out where the grindings are coming from. I am using 30weight oil. I have the required amount in there. My engine is also getting really hot. My flywheel and it's cover are even hot.

The noises I hear are a small amount of whining, which produces somewhat of a jumpy ride. The pulse is more noticable when the ped is moving faster.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you everyone.

Kyle

Re: A3 Tomos expert needed...

bump

Has anyone mastered the A3 motor?

has anyone mastered it...haha....

sometimes i wake up in the middle of the night and realize i fully assembled broken down transmissions in my sleep. I could explain it...but why?

"go here":http://www.themopedjunkyard.com/A3tomostransmission.html

Yea, I know what you mean. These engines seem to be fussy. I have a parts manual too, I have everything in there right, but I am pretty sure I don't have the proper spacing between everything, and I wanted to know how you guys do it.

The thing shifts great, accels really fast even with the speed sprocket, but the tranny makes the stupid sound, which I can't figure out what it is.

Do you hear the gears moving quite clearly when hte engine is off and you pedal the bike?

Kyle

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account