Sachs Bent Fork Arms: HELP

NB0tt aholetechbro /

Last night my friend was making a u-turn on the road and fell on some gravel. Wasn't going fast at all, but managed to bend the fork arms that connect the front tire to the actual forks pretty badly. I'm not sure exactly what their name is.....the shaft that goes inside the forks with the spring and at the bottom that's where the tire is bolted onto.....They're bent.....

Now is it possible to take them apart and rebend them back straight as possible or would that make them brittle and possibly just snap off next time I hit a pot hole?

I've posted a WTB thread on the buy forum because I'm afraid I might need new ones but anyone with any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-nicco

Re: Sachs Bent Fork Arms: HELP

NB0tt aholetechbro /

Also, it's a 1978 columbia commuter (sachs).

NB0tt aholetechbro /

any ideas?

Ben Van Zoest /

A machine shop maybe able to straighten them, you will need to remove and disassemble/seperate the fork tubes. Also find someone for the job first. Make your stupid 'friend' pay..

you should beable to bend em no problem..

But if theyre beyond repair i can give you a set of motobecane ones.....

Not too shure if theyd fit...

NB0tt aholetechbro /

NB0tt aholetechbro /

So far I took a mapp gas torch to them and got 'em real nice n red and tried to straighten them out as much as possible. It's all backtogether and a little bit wobbly when going down the street but it doesn't feel dangerous......I'm just concerned that if someone were to go over a small bump in the road that they may just snap in half....

Harry, if the fork arms you have are a close enough match how much would you want for shipping?

Ben Van Zoest /

Ouch, your friend ran into a wall?

wow tough luck man, see that's one reason not to let people touch your 'ped

NB0tt aholetechbro /

Not a wall.....was just turning around in the street...not even going fast, with one foot on the ground moving to turn and went into a pile of sand/gravel and it was dark so it just slid out from under him I guess...

Definately a bummer.....it's not my main riding ped....was my first ped though.....I've just been getting it ready to sell to my friend's younger brother who's my age when he gets back from school....so it's kinda a drag.

I'm afriad to give it to him and have him go over some small bump and have the forks just bend again and snap or something.

Any ideas on fork arms that would be compatible?

thanks

-nicco

Ben Van Zoest /

You could buy complete EBR tubes for sale somewhere, forgot were, sorry..

Ben Van Zoest /

1977 mopeds have EBR forks kits.

NB0tt aholetechbro /

Don't have the money for a whole brand new set of forks for this machine. Looking for something compatible though. Anyone know what other mopeds have the same forks?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account