1978 Puch "Free Spirit"

I've got a 78 Puch Free Spirit taht I just picked up....wasn't running when I got it...the previous owner said it sat for years in his garage. I cleaned out the whole fuel system( fuel shut-off valve, carberator, fuel line gastank) and got it runnin. The problem is its running very sluggish.....I even put a new spark plug in and its still runnin the same.....barely any pick up and barely makes it to 20 mph. The lask of speed and power is killin me....someone help me out with what to check next and also where I find performance parts for this in the Tampa Bay area

Re: 1978 Puch "Free Spirit"

you probably need to clean the carbon out of the exhaust

Already tried that and it didn't change anything, there was just a little build up but after cleaning it there was absolutely no change in performance...if anything it got worse!.......there seems to be no power. It'll run but acceleration is very slow and top speed is extremely slow....i'ld be better off pedaling!!! I'll check the fuel system again but other then that I really don't know what to do and can use some advice. Any little adjustments that might need to be made to anywhere I haven't mentioned?

im not farmiliar with the carb on that. try fooling around with the mixture screw and see if that does anything. also put the choke half on and see if it gets better power that way

Leon Swarmer /

You haven't mentioned points or timing. you might clean and gap the points and set the timig...

Re: 1978 Puch

What kind of air filter do you have on it? Do you know if it's the stock filter?

Carefull there....

Ben Van Zoest /

You stated been 'sitting' for many years probally with dried stuck rings, dry wheelbearing, crusty chain etc. do not run the engine under any circumstances until you complete a maintenance schedule. Remove carb and drip some Mystery oil on the rings and work the piston to and from with the flywheel. Pull the head and inspect the cylinder walls, oil liberally with 2 cycle or Mystery oil. btw how many miles on the odo? There are a lot of issues with a long time 'sitter' you MUST look at before you should attempt a ride.

Yes, it is the stock filter.

Actually there are two very common things that were done to the free spirit to restrict them. The first thing you should do is take off the carb and look at the intake, there may be a plastic reducer sleeve that make the intake only 10mm, you can pop that right out with a screwdriver or drill. If it does not have this resrictor, it may have the horrible one, take the intake off the cylinder and look at the intake port on the cylinder, if you see a cirular metal sleeve, then it have a restricted 1hp cylinder, get a different stock cylinder and you should be going 28+ mph in no time. Usually it is the first and easier of the two restrictions. let me know how this helps.

the air cleaner may also be plugged. also the choke may not be returning all the way. my last puch had that problem.

i also forgot to mention to check the spark plug to determine whether the mixture is too rich or lean. there is a clip on the throttle piston needle that makes the mixture more lean by raising it to the next groove.

I tried cleaning the air cleaner...it's stock so I don't know if I'm better off riggin one up myself.....anyways after cleaning and puttin it back on, there was absolutely no change....I soaked it in gasoline, dryed it off, blew it out with compressed air, and added very little oil to the screen, but there was no diffference. I tried adjusting the choke but that just made it bog down when I gave it gas. So I adjusted the choke to where it was previously and it runs the same way it did before. guess I'm gonna have pull the whole thing apart and start all over again. Lookin into gettin new gaskets and just rebuilding the whole thing, carb and all. cleaning out the gas tank again. and punching myself in the face. Gonna try out Chad's idea when I get some more time...hopefully tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the help and keep it comin cause it looks like I'm gonna need all the help I can get.

how rich is your fuel, r are you even using 2 stroke oil. i know someone with a boat motor that has the same problems as you. its because he put straight gas in it. luckily it wasn't too damaged from that ordeal because it works good now.

Conrad, Have you check the two things I mentioned yet?

Not yet Chad, I haven't even had time to check this website lately, but I should have some time to do it tonight. I'll let you know if thats the problem.

Good News....looks to be the first restrictor that you talked about....I'll let you know how it runs real soon!

runs a helluva lot better!!!! still don't know exact speed cause the speedo cable is broken.......Thanks Chad and everyone else who helped out...I'll continune to give updates and try to leave pictures on here too!

Good to hear, you might want to check your gearing too, the front sprocket might be a 13 tooth, if it is, you'll probably want to swap out to a 15 or 16 tooth front. also, what size jet does it currently have?

the front sprocket is a 13 tooth....where can I get a 16 tooth sprocket? also I believe the jet size is whatever came stock......I had to adjust the needle in the carb. It was at the very top notch so I tried the bottom notch and it ran fine till the next day when it would run but not idle....then I adjusted it one up from the bottom and it seems to be running fine......except I can't give it full throttle or it will bog down...should I go up one more notch or is there another adjustment for this?

That needle, jet needle, only controls the fuel mixture at midrange. So, if it's bogging down at midrange that's what you need to adjust. The lower the notch the clip is in, the higher the needle sits, making the fuel mixture richer, so try bringing it up a notch. Also, how does your gas tank look? My Puch that I bought from a buddy sat in a garage for a year +. He added a stableizer to the gas, but the tank was rusted as shit. I had to take the carb apart every other day to clean, even with a fuel filter. I finally de-rusted my gas tank, and coated it with a liner (Kreen system) now it runs great. Also clean your points, and check you timing this also greatly improved my ped's performance.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account