help! stripped threads in carb!

So tonight the Garelli Super Sport XL wouldn't start. I checked the spark -- looked good. Then I pulled off the carb and cleaned the jet, which looked a little dirty. So I'm putting everything back together in anticipation of hearing it fire right up, and while I'm tightening the banjo screw, I get this nervous feeling that I've turned it way too many times for it to still be loose. I pull it out, and VOILA! I've got metal shavings from the carb in between the threads. Goddamnit.

So, like, is there any way to fix this, or do I need to shell out the big bucks for a new carb? I'm broke as a joke and this is a real bummer.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

Re: help! stripped threads in carb!

Brian Mikami /

Gotta be careful, that's soft metal. I guess you could go one size bigger screw, just have to find someone with a tap set or most hardware stores will sell one tap for a few bucks, just bring in the screw, find one size bigger, and grab the matching tap, the handle costs a few more bucks, but every tool box should have one. Good luck.

Re: help! stripped threads in carb!

Ah, that's worth a try! Sure beats buying a new carb. Thanks for the tip!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account