gasket material

I've been having an exhaust leak probably since the beginning I modified a Bi-turbo on my Honda Urban Express. The reason, I thought, was that there was no exhaust gasket. I went to wal-mart and got some High-Temp RTV silcone gasket maker. Has anyone ever used this stuff? My plan is just to use a large amount of this stuff to see if it will stop the exhaust leak, but not too much. Also, there's a leak around the header and expansion chamber. Any ideas on how to stop the leak? Thanks for your help.

WillyT

Re: gasket material

that stuff doesnt work good if you have gas touching it.

go to napa and get some gasket paper. cut your own gaskets. it will be much better and cheaper then buying new gaskets!

yup any car store should have some gasket stuff. tell them its for a muffler seal on a moped and that it just needs to stand hi heat and gas. also you said its leaking near the exspansion chamber? is it a hole? if it is them buy some muffler repair stuff comes in a kit. and is pritty slef exsplanitory. ya that suff wont work becaus gas actualy comes out in to your exsaust pipe to some degree.

exaust temps can reach 1000+ degrees, rubber will not work, the best thing to do is to make sure everything is as close fitting as possible, if a gap is still there, you might try something like JB weld to fill gaps and a piece of paper to act as a slip to alow movement, if it's farther along in the system, then you MIGHt try some high temp silicon...

It's not a whole where the expansion chamber and header connect. Exhaust is just getting past the clamp. Will some muffler bandaid stuff work well in that spot?

WillyT

Even worse news. I check my exhaust header and found out that about half of the flared pipe had just cracked off. I'm going to use a hand torch and see if I can flare it again.

WillyT

If that fails .. or if there's not enough material to spare, you can silver-solder an atachment on there.

I've used silver solder close to the cylinder and it held up fine.. melts at about 1400-1500 F or more .. and stronger than the metal you're joining.

Call a welding supply shop for materials and instructions... probaly cost you about $15 or so.. easy to do and can be done with a propane torch..

clean and flux, get the joint red hot and apply solder.

I have been having exhaust gasket issues and went to a lawn quipment parts/service shop. They sold me a great gasket that can be cut to any size because it has a ton of extra material in its design. It is a gasket for a 60cc Echo brand blower, and the gasket itself is manufactured by Echo. I don't have the part number handy, but I'll post it when I get home. What I like about it is that it's made of three layers - a thin later of dimpled aluminum (the dimples compress when you tighten down the gasket, to make a great seal) sandwiched between two thin layers of lead (almost like a thin fabric, but made of lead). This gasket is not as succeptible to damage and wear by oil and gas and heat as fiber/paper/composite material gaskets are, and it seems to resist heat better too.

part number of the echo gasket is "v104000720"

Jeff, what did the Echo gasket cost? I see the Honda gasket on line for just over $4.00.

costs the same...$4.00

what would you guys do for rubber gasket material.. for say my gas cap? its somewhat thick... probably 1/6 or 1/8 inch... do you think Ace hardware would have something sufficient? i've checked a few auto stores it seems all they have are paper gaskets.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account