puch e50 primary drive bearings

I'm in the process of gathering parts to rebuild an e50 engine. The engine will end up with a polini kit so I want to make sure everything is in top shape.

Should I worry about the bearings on the primary drive? Do they ever really need to be replaced?

For the crankshaft, should I have a shop press on the bearings or have people had good luck with the freezing the crank, heating the bearings method?

Thanks for the help.

Re: puch e50 primary drive bearings

See Ya Moped Army /

You don't need to freeze the crank. Just put the bearings in a toaster oven set at 400 degrees for around 5-10 minutes. They will slip right on the crank.

The bearings on the primary drive should be carefully inspected and evaluated for replacement. When I rebuild a Puch motor, I replace all the bearings. There is also an oil seal on the primary drive that should also be replaced.

Thanks Larry. What method do you use for removing and replacing the drive bearings?

or do they just slide on and off?

See Ya Moped Army /

I use a bearing puller tool that was issued to Puch Dealers. If there isn't much clearance behind the bearing on the end of the primary drive, you can use two large screwdrivers as levers and pop it off.

See Ya Moped Army /

By the way, the "two screwdriver method" also works great with the crank bearing closest to the crank (the one without the locating ring). A generic 2 arm puller will work on the bearing with the locating ring, but it will mess up the sealed side of the bearing when you pull it off. I've even been able to use two screwdriver method to remove that bearing as well.

Make sure to clean up the crank real well once you remove the bearings and apply a little white grease to the crank to make the bearings slide on even easier. I also lube the bearings and seals with some white grease to prevent a dry start up when the motor is started for the first time after the rebuild.

Just out of curiosity, what does everyone else use as a "pre-lube" on the bearings?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account