Motobecane lights not working

Okay.

1979 12v that runs fine but lights do not work. What would be the most common reason? Would it be the coil? A loose wire? Everything else works, just not the head lamp or taillight.

Thanks,

Fred

Re: Motobecane lights not working

usually the bulbs are burnt out? when one goes the extra current over powers the others and then they burn out.

The lights never worked when I bought the bike, but it runs really well. I replaced the headlamp with a new one, and never got it to light up. I do not know if it is a loose ground wire or something, or a fault switch on the headlamp. The wiring looks okay.

stick a volt meter on the headlight socket's leads.. run the engine.. headlamp switch 'on' .. if you got no voltage a wire is broken or disconnected somewhere down the line.. my guess is the fault is in a central location and affects more than the headlight.

hopefully the magneto's lighting coil is ok .. check that too... for coil continuity and/or for voltage off it's main output wires.

the switch on top of the headlamp is often faulty.

Check the connection block down by the engine, infact just remove it, and replace it with a new one. (radio shack)

Check voltage with a multimeter, start at the magnetto, and workyour way up to the headlamp. I have a crapload of extra coils and such if you need one

See Ya Moped Army /

If the switch is good, I would suspect a bad lighting magneto. They are easy to replace.

The brake light works...but no head lamp or rear tail light....

i know nothing about the motobecanes..

but one of a magneto's internal coils is usually tapped .. that is, somewhere near the middle of the coil of wire, they attach another wire.

Since the number of turns of wire in a coil determines voltage output, a single tapped coil can output many voltages simultaneously. These "taps" then power devices that require different voltages. So, one section of a tapped coil could be shorted / burned out, while the other sections are OK.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account