peugeot starting problems

so i just got this fresh garage find. it is in mazing condition and only has 1000 miles. however it doesnt run well or start easy. i have to pedal the fuck out of it and it wont idle. any tips ticks with peugeots?

I have akready cleaned the points and carb, replaced the spark plug and adjusted the point gap.

1145034619_peugeot_103.jpg

Re: peugeot starting problems

Sounds like the peugeot death knell, bad electrical. Try narrowing the point gap.

i just checked for spark and it does have it. however, it only comes to life after about 3 seconds of pedaling and even then it is an eratic orange spark.

ok i made the gap smaller and it runs faster now but still wont idle at all. i think it has to do with the spark. the minute the bike drops RPM's the engine cuts out. once its going though it runs fairly well. it is the same as when i take the spark plug off. it takes a sec to get going, once it does it is fairly bright, but the minute i stop pedaling the spark dies even though the magneto is still spining at a speed where the spark should sustain.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

hey I recently acquired a 103 SP and when trying to see if the engine works, I flick the switch on that plastic piece next to the pedals, but when I pedal it doesnt seem to engage.

What I mean is that it will start to drive the belt and all, but it wont turn the crank or magneto or anything. Is that just some bolt I need to tighten or does it mean the clutch is worn out?

yes, that is the Peugeot spark problem. no spark at low RPM's, requireing frantic pedalling and high idle.

It's caused by low voltage from your ignition coil. You could try replacing the rotor with one you know is good, to rule out demagnetized rotor. You could try replacing the ignition coil, but that probably won't work. You could start drilling a bosch coil and switch the electrical to a different system. You could buy the CDI conversion kit for $200 and bypass the problem forever.

Since you're just trying to flip the bike for some quick cash, I recommend cutting your losses and selling it for what you bought it for. Unless you have gobs of time on your hands, then tear into that mother.

mkelly, are you using your decompression lever? It should be a lever or the throttle side control that opens a valve inthe cylinder head, making the engine easier to turn over when starting. Your clutch is almost certainly not worn, but it could be broken. Also, you could have the wrong belt.

thanks brett. gonna tinker a little more and then yeah ill probablysell it as "running, but needs electrical work".

P.S. Maitland, it is really bad manners to ask a qustion in someone elses thread. you end up mixing up concepts and ideas. if you have a question please make your own thread.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

sorry about that. I'll keep that in mind from now on.

but no I wasnt using the decompression lever, as the handlebars/steering stuff isnt in place at the moment.

mkelly, try just pushing on the level in the cylinder head with a screwdriver while pedalling. That should get you going.

Mcbain, I hope you don't downplay the severity of the electrical problem to you buyer. This is a nearly fatal blow to a peugeot, and will expensive and time consuming to fix.

Brentus Sioux y Cycle /

The 103SP is different than the 102SPu3, correct? Mine has the same kind of problem. It will start the bike but now the lights barely even come on if ever.

lol brett. i am not selling it until it is fixed dont worry. The bike is so beautiful it is worth hacking another bike to make this one work if i have to.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account