how to get a snap-ring front sprocket off

I've searched through a few manuals and books and i cant figure out how to get off a snap-ring sprocket . Can anyone help me out?

Re: how to get a snap-ring front sprocket off

See Ya Moped Army /

Get a snap ring pliers.

thanks for the help!!!!!

What do i do with the pliers once i get them? Is there a way to do it without them?

You can do it without them, but the right tool will come in handy from time to time. Sometimes you can carefully use a small screwdriver or needle nose pliers and watch the clip fly off into the deepest darkest corner of the shop.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

with the snap ring pliers you just stick the ends into the holes of the ring and spread it apart far enough to come off then just pull it off. my puchs had these, i just took them off with pliers and pulled the sprocket right off. hope this helps?

Leon Swarmer /

Sometimes you can get lucky and spread them with a little screwdriver,,but they sail amazingly far.. you can get snap ring pliars with multiple tips pretty cheap and they can save you hours of frustration.

They also help quite a bit when you are putting things back together

Leon

_Author: Saabsonettguy (---.cable.mindspring.com)

Verified User: saabsonettguy

Date Posted: 04-13-06 21:30

You can do it without them, but the right tool will come in handy from time to time. Sometimes you can carefully use a small screwdriver or needle nose pliers and watch the clip fly off into the deepest darkest corner of the shop.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work_

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ah, yes! - the infamous 'Jesus Clip".

Similar ones were used on older cars to hold the valve stems in place!

They are wonderfull arn't they, piston circlips are good too, just waiting to jump right into the crankcase.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

thank you! now i know what theyre talking about! i never knew them by any name BUT jesus clip... wow i never even knew they made an actual tool for that... i always did it the hard way and yes, spent many an hour looking for them after the fly away, not to mention the whole trying to flatten em back out w/ a hammer after they bent from improper removal....

haha, sweet. thanks for the help with my jesus clip

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account