stupid question, stripped screws?

ok so im taking apart my minarelly v1 and they screws that hold it together are allen keys. now i got all of them out except one. the one is completly stripped. i dont know how to get this out. could i try to bang a larger allen key in there to have a nice tight fit? any suggestions as to what you guys do about stripped screws because rebuilding these old bikes i often come across them. thanks alot in advance

Re: stupid question, stripped screws?

yep,

what ever you use is gonna be ok. all that matters now is that you get it out. sometimes a flat head screwdriver pounded in there nice and tight will do it, but it has to be in there really tight, and deep. pound it in there while twisting it a sliver. the right technique will break it loose.

i guess you mean the 6 sided allen hole is stripped.. rounded.

if you can get in there, cut a straight slot in it's head with a Dremel and one of the little 1" diameter cut-off wheels. Then use a flat screwdriver bit to get it out. You may have to cut into the case a little to get the slot deep enough..

another thing that might work.. do you own an Impact Driver The kind you hit with a hammer?

..mm.. never mind.. i find this too complicated to explain .. (basically find a 3 or 6 sided bit, shape it to fit tight in the stripped allen head and use the impact driver)

The cut-off wheel thing has worked for me many times in many situations.

i save worn cut-off wheels .. when they get down to about 1/2 inch diameter they fit in places a new wheel won't.

get an impact driver if you dont have one.. and get a set of bits for it (rig something up with a socket or whatever) that fit your case screws, whether they be allen or phillips or whatever... Case screws tend to tighten up with engine vibration and become a real bitch to remove. An impact driver never fails to get them started out.

joe2,

excellent! if i was computer savvy, i would have done the same thing. that tool is a MUST!

You dont have a stripped screw (or bolt), what you have is a bad head on an allen bolt. This is easy to fix, just get a drill a bit bigger than the thickness of the bolt (you probably have a 6 mm bolt) which is 1/4" and carefully drill the bad head of the allen bolt right off. Now remove the cover that you wanted to get off and the bolt will be sticking out easy to get vice grips on to remove. Stripped threads are mostly in the soft alluminium and you can but a "HELICOIL" kit to repair them. Don't do this yourself, get someone that really knows how to use a helicoil. You can repair sparkplug threads without dismantling the motor even (usually).

Jason Luther /

ooo thats a nice idea

Allen Murphy /

I've slotted them, drilled off the heads, and one other trick is todrive in a Torx bitof the right size, or better yet, get a set of triple-square spline drivers, like the type that are used on the CV joints on VW and other European autos.

Thay make GREAT easy-outs for this kind of problem!

P.S. -- If you drill off the head, before you try to take out the bolt, spray some Kroil on the bolt where in enters the case--stuff does wonders.

It works SO well, legend has it that Moses himself used a single can of Kroil to part the Red Sea! :-)

Al Murphy

George Smith /

i have an impact driver they are must have for anyone dealing with anything mechanical

i'd like to find a tiny one .. maybe a 1/4 inch driver of half the weight and size.

The normal 3/8 and 1/2 inch size is overkill for many things.

there were a couple of really tiny phillips holding the reeds on my reed block.. i mean small screws. And, as they should be on such a critical application, they were LocTited.

i hadda stack up 4 adapters to fit a tiny phillips bit on my 1/2 inch impact driver .. but it did work.

joe2,

excellent! if i was computer savvy, i would have done the same thing. that tool is a MUST!

~

<Small grin>

Impact wrenches have been around way longer than the "PC",or computers as most of us know them.

lol.. smart butt... you know he meant he would have posted a pic.... ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account