No spark-Bad Coil?

I'm not sure if I'm using the proper technique of checking the spark, but if I am, I'm not getting any juice to the spark plug.

I bought a new Champion 830 for my Grande yesterday and plugged it into the receptacle and cranked the pedal and never saw any spark.

Did I miss something or is my coil bad?

Any info would help-

I'm still a bit green behind the ears!

Adam

Re: No spark-Bad Coil?

Jason Luther /

did you rest the tip of the spark plug against your engine (any metal part) this grounds out the plug,

I didn't do that.

I know this seems way simple, but let me see if I have it right now.

I put the spark plug into the receptacle and place the flat metal piece on the threaded end onto the frame of the bike to ground it out. Then crank the pedal and look for a spark to jump across the gap.

I'll try that as soon as I get home from work.

Leon Swarmer /

yea, Like anything else electrical it needs two connections to make it work. one the the ground of the frame. The other is the fat wire with the cap on it that the plug top fits into.

If you can't get the plug side to reach frame, you can just hold it against the outside of the cylinder or the head. just as long at it is not too greasy. and BTW you might want to hold it with insulated pliars.

it helps a bit if you have a dark background behind the plug gap when you are looking for spark.

Oh yea, make sure your kill switch is on...hehe

Things seem to be pretty well cleared up now. Hopefully I'll see a spark tonight.

or you can put some tuna in a bowl under the engine and wait for the cat to come visit .. then slip the sparkplug under it's collar.. The cat will "ground" the plug for you.

and you could substitute a girlfriend for the cat (adjust things as necessary) but one caution .. whichever you use, you'll have to find and convince another one to repeat the test a second time.

but seriously..

i use a spark tester .. it's a short thing with a neon bulb inside.. about $4

Re: but seriously..

Jason Luther /

or just hold it yourself and really see the agony you put your spark plug through

Where do you get a spark tester like that?

we have a store called harborfreight tools in syracuse, ny. you can buy one for $2. you can probably get one at any auto parts store in your neck of the woods, it may just cost you a little more.

Leon Swarmer /

29th St.

Are you from Topeka? Whoa

Leon Swarmer /

I thought that would get your attention.

yep been riding for a few years and hadn't seen any Grande loser than Perry.

Leon Swarmer /

And don't buy anymore tools till you talk to me.

Bruce Wilkinson /

Take good care of him Leon. If he owns a Vespa , he can't be all bad. bruce

Leon Swarmer /

Adam, if you are going to be around Thurday evening, I could take a looksee.

Leon

Definitely

I work until 6pm, but I'd be free after that. That would be awesome to have somebody come help me out.

Send me an email and let me know what would work for you.

Leon Swarmer /

I don't know Bruce, How did he get it without me seeing it ? or Brystheguy or Flammenwurfer?

Guess he's lucky. ;-)

AdamT, I e-mailed you/

Leon-

I hate to be overwhelming with a response but I'm in a situation where I need to know something about Thursday evening.

If you read this check your email because I am sending you my personal info and how to contact me tomorrow as I won't have access to the internet until 6:30 Thursday night. In which case it may be too late to get started on getting together.

Bruce Wilkinson /

I feel I know Leon from reading his posts. Us old guys are are few and far between on this site. Leon seems like a nice guy. I gather he's into medieval festivals.

spark happens carb next

Leon Swarmer /

We got together this eveng and we got to see some nice blue spark bu the float needle valve is seriously stuck in the carb body... soaking it now.

Turns out we even have some mutual friends.

Yea, I'm into renfests and beyond. Also kites, yoyos, cheap vintage cameras, pedal bikes, Little British cars, folk guitar

Thanks for the fourm cred Bruce,

Indian scout

Leon Swarmer /

Bruce, one of my friends got this barn find recently

1931 with the 45 Cid.

To make it moped related...it also has a combination gas/oil tank. with an oil pump on the tank to feed the crankcase. wowo

Re: Indian scout (Pic)

Leon Swarmer /

sorry note the extra framework for the sidecar

Leon

1144979871_rt_side_rear_sm.jpg

Re: Indian scout (Pic)

Bruce Wilkinson /

Wow, Nice Indian. Needs a lot of work but well worth it. Got to go to work now, I'll email you later.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account