Decompression Cable for Motobecane.

I snapped the Decompression cable on my mobylette this weekend. I was wondering if anyone had tried to use the brake cable off an old bike or something like that?? Let me know if you think this would work. Thanks, Ryan

Re: Decompression Cable for Motobecane.

See Ya Moped Army /

It works fine.

yeah its nothing fancy. Walmart has a set of calbles for 5 bucks.... real handy..

i don't know about mobylette, but the decompression valve on the sachs is a piece of crap that will go to heck when you need it most.

See Ya Moped Army /

The Moby decompression valve is much better than the Sachs one.

Decompression Cable for Motobecane.

i had a motobecane cady, and maybe it's different from yours, but a brake cable would not work because the round piece at the end of the cable was too large. just something to keep in mind.

i had to replace mine reccently, and just went into a bicycling shop and got a cable for $2, and it works fine. only problem i encountered, which isn't really a problem.. is that the little knobby thing that is manufactured on the end of the cable, is too big to fit at the end that pushes down underneath (not sure what that area is called-on top of the cylinder?)

Well, too big WITH the little bar (the one that pulls up on that cylinder part) that was on the original decomp cable. not enough room for both down there. I'm thinking if i just use the cable as is, and not use the little bar piece it should be okay, so long as it doesn't slip between that little space (the one that pulls up). god, i wish i knew the terminology, sorry if this makes no sense....

See Ya Moped Army /

Just use a dremel and grind the end down until it fits.

The knarp (as the lump at the end of the cable is called) is made of lead, so you'll want to avoid inhaling the dust, getting it on your face, getting it all over your hungry-man dinner, etc. You should try to collect it and dispose of it, and wash your hands afterwards.

I'm very paranoid about exposure to chemicals, which makes fixing an old moped an interesting hobby for me-- but anyway, I thought you might want to know.

Nice to get a new one but a universal bicycle cable with a long enough outside casing would work well. They usually come with two different ends attached so you have to decide which end works the best (at the cylinder head) and cut the other one off with vise grips, maybe you should put some tape on the cable before cutting because some cables instantly unravel. Now you need to loosen the lock screw on the handle bar and poke the cable through the small hole, tighten the screw a little and gently test the adjusment lenght, if it is OK then finish tightening the screw. You really need a decompressor if your motor has the variable clutch, but with the simple clutch you can do without the decomp. April 14/06 Canada

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account