New parts sources for NX50M

Where should I be buying new parts for a 1981 Honda Express SR NX50M?

There's a place in Nebraska, PowerSportsPro.com, that seems to show everything I could need on their website. I called the local Honda dealer for a quote on one item, and they were 12% higher. Are there sources that everybody knows are the best cost? New to this as of last week.

Thanks.

Re: New parts sources for NX50M

Personally, i'm dead set against buying new parts for 30 year old moped.. so i haunt the motorcycle boneyards.

Jonas Quimby /

Trouble is that doesnt get new gaskets, working fuel filters, uncracked hoses, unhardened brake shoes, etc etc etc.

I've been getting my parts from my local honda shop, but for the discontinued items I've been looking on ebay and at that website.

That and there arnt any places in Vancouver to find wrecked mopeds. There's only a handful of Running mopeds.

There's hardly even a place to browse wrecked Cars.

Good point. Nothing better than finding what you need at a fraction of the price of new.

Parts I'm thinking about are the service manual, head gaskets, air filter element, and rear brake cable. Just want to be sure I'm not missing a source that is common knowledge.

Thanks.

yeah.. i started off at Honda, like everyone else .. The guy behind the counter said something i needed was discontinued and suggested a guy he knew about 50 miles away.

One thing led to another and I discovered a couple motorcycle salvage yards within an hour's drive.. picked up a couple of almost complete parts-bikes.

make my own gaskets.. a hose is a hose. Part of the fun is finding a way of getting by with what's available.

Salvage yards won't be available to everyone but it's a good alternate source to consider.

Jonas Quimby /

Service manual is available online for free. Head gasket and air filter can be had from Honda. All control cables are out, and best to get from ebay.

Does anyone have their cables made specially for them? Just curious. As long as you have some dimensions, we had two guys that I knew who could build cables for bikes, if needed. Tried that outlet? Likely cost you more, but if that's the only way...

I know that moped junkyard used to make cables, but I thought they required a template. Right/wrong?

Jax184, where the heck can I find that manual online?! I'm dying to get the information, but the place I ordered it from told me this morning it had been discontinued. Called the local Honda motorsports dealer, and they confirmed that they can't get it either.

Posted on the Buy/Sell forum on this site, but there's been no response yet. I really need it; there's just too much I don't know. Like that the head bolts are torqued to 10 ft/lbs. I could mess something up in a heartbeat.

I guess my next step would be to ask if anyone has a manual they could loan me for a day so I could scan it. I'd pay freight both ways.

By the way, all the other parts seem to be available, order status is "in process", and I'm guessing they'd have told me if anything else was a problem.

Jonas Quimby /

http://www.mopedriders.org/html/manuals/honda/uexpress/huexpresssm.htm

That's the manual for the Urban Express. Different bike, I know, but the engines are nearly identical.

Excellent! Haven't looked at all the pages yet, but it makes sense that Honda wouldn't make an engine for a two year model run as an orphan. I should be able to tell from the manual how close engines are in appearance, but do you know any obvious differences between the SR and Urban engines that I should be aware of?

I think it was mentioned here that the SR wasn't very popular. What were the reasons? Performance? Price? Just curious.

Now to spend some time with that manual.

Thanks.

Luke Evans /

do you even need gaskets? use instant seal gasket paste i use blue holimer (but then i use a gaskets as well)

luke

http://www.evzsgarage.esmartdesign.com/

mmm... im lookin at that 3-speed Puch break>

just last night, for the millionth time, i was walking back and forth between a semi-auto 3-speed Honda C70 (70cc) and my moped .. measuring this and that .. wondering how the hell to mount the big engine with the gears on the little moped ..

Jonas Quimby /

The Express SR has a much smaller back wheel, so the final gearing of the transmission is different. All Express SRs came with electric starters instead of it being optional, and I think the kickstarter was arranged a little differently, though that might have been to do with the different years...

Outside of that, the engine is the same.

Great information. I've already printed about 30 pages of the Urban NU50 manual. It's amazing how much you can learn in a short time when you start by knowing nothing.

For example, when I checked the compression, I held the tester into the plug hole, had my wife kick the starter by hand, and because I have the bike up on a bench I had my son hold open what I thought was the carburetor by holding the linkage open. He couldn't reach the throttle from the floor. Turns out he was holding the oil pump open. We'll repeat the test tonight and I'll get him a bucket to stand on so he can reach the throttle, and see how the numbers change.

Thanks.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account