Honda Express 2?

I'm having a real struggle with my 1980 Honda Express 2.

What it's doing is it takes gas right in but spews it right out the overflow on the carb. Then it's flooding before we even give it gas. Like when we get it started (takes about an hour) it's good to go, but if you let it sit, you're boned. Anyone? Ideas?

Re: Honda Express 2?

Leon Swarmer /

needle valve operated by the float valve isn't working right. dirt on the tiny black rubber tip? float filled up with gas? float arm bent and not shutting off fuel flow?

Shut off petcock, drop bowl, clean up alll the gas you just spilled. Hold float up and turn on petcock. No fuel should flow. now drop the float a bit and the fuel should flow all over your hands. raise the float and it should stop.

Try it and report back.

Leon Swarmer /

This may help

1144623980_nc50_internal_carb_bits_labeled.jpg

Cool, I knew it might be the float but I wasnt sure... Didnt want to break something that wasnt broke you know.

lol thanks your your input, makes you a bully for unnecessary roughness... lol just kidding... Thanks though.

Leon Swarmer /

welcome

Jonas Quimby /

This is a good excuse to fully dismantle and clean the carb. The Express is MASSIVLY touchy about a single spec of dirt in it's carb. Once it's perfectly cleaned and carefully tuned, it'll start easily and run just fine.

Be careful with the carb setting screws on the side though. Carefully screw them all the way in and count how many turns it takes, so you can set them back when you're done. Chances are they'll be okay once the carb is clean again.

Hey Jax184, is the following possible, if you know: I have two fuel valves for a Honda Express SR and neither of them works right. I was told that the rubber (?) or whatever piece inside tends to disintegrate, causing this.

What I want to know (since I haven't found another replacement and, as you know, there is very little room to move under the seat), is it possible to drill out the valve (what size bit, if so?), put an in-line filter and an in-line off-on valve and work the bike this way? Admittedly, it might be a tight fit, but I was wondering if it could be done.

Thanks

you can add an in-line valve, and they work just as good as the original valve. that's a common practice by me.

Jonas Quimby /

First off, there's a filter in the tank. Well, there's supposed to be. They tend to fall apart and get thrown out. It goes on the end of the petcock, over it's white tube.

Most Express petcocks clog up with grime and just need some time and fiddling to clear out. I spent a half hour or more at my kitchen sink with tiny bits of wire and such to clean mine out, but it now works just fine in both On and Reserve. The new filter should keep it that way.

You might try a bit of air pressure as well to blow the crud out of your's.

Okay to both cleaning filter and installing in-line filter, but if the fuel still isn't flowing through the valve line to the carb, THEN can I successfully do what I proposed on 4/11? So far, nothing has worked and I thought that drilling an oversized hole into the valve and then blowing it out as much as can and then installing in-line filter to catch crap and then installing an in-line valve might work. It is not that the existing valve gets TOO much gas to the carb, it gets NONE.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account