Morini m1 engine problem

I'm having trouble with my mornini m1 engine. It runs really well, when it is running. But, if I let it idle too long, it will die and then I can not get it started again. It almost seems as if that spark plug is fouling out. When I remove the spark plug, it has gas/oil on it and if I clean it off, I can usually get the moped started again but it still doesnt idle well. I think my mix gas tank had a bit of extra oil settled in it (I hadnt used it in a while) when I mixed the gas last time, so it is probably a slight bit richer than 25:1. Is the high ratio of oil causing the problem? The spark plug is a nice tan color, so I'm pretty sure the mixture is right. Any ideas? Thanks.

Re: Morini m1 engine problem

Sounds like idle air:fuel mix is slightly rich .. too much fuel, not enough air.

check to make sure the air cleaner is clean and clear and that the choke is wide open. Although choke is needed to start and idle a cold engine, a hot engine needs air to idle.

aside from that a high float level could cause too much fuel at idle...

another thing may be the idle mixture screw (if the carb has that ajustment screw) needs adjustment.

And set idle speed and idle mixture only when the engine is hot .. otherwise it will die at idle when hot.

and do get a new plug .. dirty plugs never recover fully even if you clean them..

The air cleaner is clean. Im pretty sure the float is working correctly and there is no mixture adjust. I have replaced the plug twice. Is it possible for too much oil in the gas to foul out the plug? Thanks.

Jason Luther /

what kind of plug are you using , are you sure its the correct one? is this a new problem? are you mixing 32:1? did your main jet come loose?

Too much oil can foul a plug. I wouldnt suspect too much oil if you are near 25:1 or less. Sure, that is lots of oil these days.. but the manufacturers did recommend that ratio in the past.

if you have any doubt as to how much oil you're using (we all scrwe up sometimes) drain the fuel tank .. also drain the float bowl .. look closely in there for oil globules. Some oils, especially synthetics, do not mix well with gasoline or do not stay dissolved for long periods of time.

Add one ounce of standard 2-stroke oil to one quart of gasoline and stir it up. Then pour it into the tank. This is a 32:1 ratio and is certainly not too much oil.

Take a long ride

See if it makes a difference.

Also check your spark plug gap .. a small gap can foul on a tiny drop of liquid .. oil, gasoline or water. And it wouldn't hurt to clean the entire fuel pathway from gas tank to engine...

I remixed a batch of 40:1 synthetic as per the oil instructions and replaced the spark plug again, it runs great right now, but that has not stopped it from fouling in the past. The spark plug gap is at .6mm, the manufacturer recommends .5mm-.6mm. This is quite small though, should I go bigger? Also, about the other question. This is not a new problem. When I got the moped, it was not running at all. I cleaned the points, reset the timing, cleaned the carb, etc... and now it runs. But it has had this spark plug problem since it has been running. It is the correct spark plug, I have double checked. Thanks for the help.

mfgr recommended gap is ok..

do you notice an intermittant misfire anywhere except at idle? If so you could swap the plug's boot-lead coil wire .. it could be internally broken or it's insulating cover is detewriorated and 'leaking'.. shorting out before the energy gets to the plug. And check for any corroded or loose connections anywhere in the ignition circuit.

Otherwise you might just need a hotter heat range plug. They recommend a middle of the road plug to suit the average environment. (btw..A higher number on an NGK plug is a cooler plug.. Heat range is available from 2 to 11)

A correct heat range plug will burn away all the carbon and oily low-speed deposits when you drive at at top speed. A too-cold plug will not, and will eventually foul. And the symptoms of fouling are most likely to be noticed at idle where things are already really weak.

There is no misfiring. It sounds like a higher heat range plug might be the problem. How can I figure out the heat range? In the cross reference guide at the auto parts store, I dont think the heat range is listed. The plug I have is is a ngk cross-reference replacement for the standard ngk one (they were out of the standard) so it definately could be that the plug is the same size, but a lower heat range.

Jason Luther /

what is the plug number? ngks heat ranges are inverse to the numerical value. yeah, i dont know what i just said either. ie a B5HS is hotter than a B6HS

I dont have the plug on me, but the standard is bp6es. When I went to the auto parts store, they were out of that one, so they gave me a different ngk plug that is supposed to be compatable with bp6es but had a different number and blue lettering. I will have to look at the number when I am home again next weekend (I am back in my dorm) but it definately seems like it could be the lower heat range version of the bp6es. I think they make california versions of plugs, which are lower heat range (i think)..

Jason Luther /

the blue lettering (from my limited experience) is for cars and jet skis. do your best to find the correct plug since it make a huge difference. and not to knock autozone employees, but they could just as easily be working at old navy

See Ya Moped Army /

It takes a Champooin RN9YC.

Try Napa Auto parts. They have always had the correct NGK spark plug I needed. I have a morini Franco engine and use the NGK BP6ES. In addition, I had a problem with an intermittant spark awhile back and traced the problem to weak magnets in the magneto. Just food for thought.

Chemglider

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account