01 Tomos A35-Trans service

Advice:

What ATF fluid do I use in the gearbox. It calls for ATF "A", but unable to locate type "A".

What flush do I use to Flush the transmission gear box as recommended?

THANX IN ADVANCE

Mike

Re: 01 Tomos A35-Trans service

steveintoronto /

you can pour a little extra clean fluid through the case with the drain screw left out, that should flush away anything bad. you can use type-f non-synthetic ATF.

steveintoronto /

ps. make sure your bike is level, and use the level screw.

Level screw? where is it? What does it do?

I thought all I needed to do was open fill and drain plugs. Drain oil, replace drain plug, Fill and replace fill plug.

Thanx

Mike

steveintoronto /

there's a little bolt on the top (right) of the case, and an identical one on the bottom. those are the fill and drain screws respectively. by the way, you'll see once you start doing this just how ridiculously small they've made the fill hole- bad design- so you'll need a very small funnel. try a paper water cooler cup (cone) with the very tip cut out.

on the right side at about pedal height you'll see a screw with a phillips head, i think, that looks like it doesn't do anything. if take that one out, you'll see tranny fluid start to weep out the hole once you've added enough.

got it?

So, the little screw to the right is where I fill the trans, NOT to the TOP of the fill hole.

Thanx

steveintoronto /

ask yourself, how the hell would that work? i just read my post again and without trying to be a jerk, it really couldn't be clearer or simpler.

top hole = fill

middle hole = level

bottom hole = drain

doesn't that make sense? you drain oil out of the bottom, fill through the top, when it's full it comes out the side. if you don't get this, i don't even have time to go into how gravity works!

steveintoronto /

sorry, i just read that over it really came out snarky mike. i should have learned a long time ago that it's hard to convey sarcasm effectively in writing.

hopefully the last instructions are clear(er). when you are doing all of this, please make sure that the bike is sitting as level as you can get it. it's really important that you get the level right or the transmission won't shift properly.

good luck!

John Joedicke /

Ataboy Grey, knew you were out ther lurking around biting your lip waiting to throw that wee picky up. LOL

steveintoronto /

i tried to find something i could post on my repair/parts CD-Rs, but i couldn't find anything suitable to illustrate that.

Steve:

Thanx, that's what I thought, But I wanted to make sure. I am not interested in blowing the trans my first week.

steveintoronto /

saab's photo should make it all crystal clear too.

Steve:

You made it crystal clear after I removed the trim and saw the screws. Drained the ATF( which was black), and replaced. drove it for five minutes. Drained and replaced-3 times.

Sprayed the intakes on the carb as well as the muffler baffle with carb cleaner. Placed a new spark plug.

The only issue I came faced with in this OCEAN Enviorment( I live on a barrier Island and the ocean is 50 meters away) is difficulty starting when the engine is cold. Warm engine-one kick. After spraying the intakes on the carb and replacing a new spark plug ( wd-40 the plug) it still took about 15 kick starts ( 5 no choke- 10 with Choke) for the engine to turn over.

I deeply appreciate all your support and thank-you for the great advice.! You are KIND!

Thanx,

Mike

PS: This old fart at times is not the sharpest tool in the shed!

John Joedicke /

Always start her with the choke on from a cold start. Your just flooding otherwise.

steveintoronto /

yes. choke is your friend in all weather conditions. the only time you won't need it is if you're restarting a warm or hot engine. you may even find (as i have) that the bike runs better in colder temps as it is air cooled, but damp conditions are always bad for these little guys, no matter what the temperature is.

good luck, and let us know if you need any more help!

s:

I engaged the choke turned throttle 1/3 open;kicked and sputtered for 3 seconds stopped. After about ten minutes of this, the engine kicks over. When the engine is cool, this is what it takes to start. When the engine is warm,starts up on one kick, without the choke !

Maybe I got some bad gas, or the octain is too low. Should I be using High Octane? Also some information that maybe helpful, the new spark plug is gapped at .22 and when I pulled it after riding maybe three miles, the new spark plug was BLACK which wiped off immediately. TOO RICH?

Thanx AGAIN !

Mike

steveintoronto /

you're definitely running too rich if your plug fouled that quickly.

don't bother with anything other than regular gas- the high-octane stuff is a myth anyway. just make sure that wherever you get it from sells good quality gas, and that your tank, lines and carb are clean and it should run fine.

as a rule, always start it with the choke. you'll have to open the throttle all the way to get it to release. this blast of gas and throttle should get it to settle into a good idle every time. if the bike's already hot, as you said, it shouldn't be an issue.

I stumbled on the closing ckoke at full throttle and seems to have worked. I believe I was flooding the engine with full choke on., hence the unspent gas came out of the exhaust.

We'll see in the morning..

I have sprayed the carb with carb cleaner for a few minutes so it should be clean. I ran around for about an hour, cut the engine and rolled to a stop. Pulled the plug-Tan.

The kid a bought it from told me to turn off the gas switch only when storing the bike. I think this is what is causing gas to leak into the cylinder. So, I now am turning off the gas flow switch at the end of each job.

I deeply appreciate all your help. OBVIOUSLY, I know JACK about the mechanics, but am slowly learning with help from guys like you.

Thanx

Mike

steveintoronto /

great way to learn!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account