1979 honda express

I have a 1979 honda express. This machine is very hard to start. Once i get it going it going and warmed up it runs perfect. Starts by breathing on it almost. I have great spark- Totally cleaned the carb.Has anybody ran into this before??

Re: 1979 honda express

I'm gonna guess you're not using the choke or the choke is not functioning.. Choking cuts off air intake and forces the very rich air:fuel mixture ratio needed to start the engine. Most of this rich mixture is wasted but at least some of it will catch fire.

Choking is not needed on a warm engine because the warm parts, carb, intake manifold and engine have no problem evaporatiing the liquid fuel droplets coming from the carb .. This vapor of fuel burns easily and the mixture need not be so fuel-rich.

If you're already uising the choke (and it's functioning as it should) try a squirt of Starter Fluid. This stuff is ether plus a bit of lubricant. If the ice-cold engine starts immediately, your carburetor is having trouble delivering the correct fuel / air starting mixture.. So, you'd want to check the carb again.. adjust float level, check the idle circuit for cleanliness, etc.

A cold engine should start without extra help if everything is in good shape and adjusted properly and if you're using the choke.

Jonas Quimby /

I suggest going over the carb again. The closest thing the Express has to a major problem is that the carb needs to be perfectly clean to get an easy start and nice idle.

After this, setting the carb settings right makes a big difference. A little two stroke is real sensative about small changes to it's settings. Remember that the throttle needle can be adjusted, and that it's Supposed to have it's retainer c-clip in the middle position.

Also remember that riding without an air filter will both throw the mix and quickly wear out an engine.

Another thing, if the bike has sat unridden for a long time, a sludge of too much oil and old gas builds up in the crankcase. Simply riding the bike many miles cleans this out quite well and makes starting easier.

When you let the bike sit a while, do you turn the petcock off? If the float needle were just a little dirty it would cause the carb to slightly food. When you start it cold, just give it a little more gas. If the idle is too low it won't stay running. New plug properly gapped doesn't huirt either. I have heard of a spark that will perform fine in open air but isn't strong once under high compression.

My guess it has the Honda automatic choke system. The choke, if automatic, is screwed into the cylinder head. It consists of a bi-metal strip. I would assume that there's a clog in the lines or something is blocking the bi-metal strip. Take it off and give it a good cleaning.

WillyT

Leon Swarmer /

Sorry William, 79's didn't have auto choke (stock anyway)

Leon

Good to know.

WillyT

Jonas Quimby /

FYI, Honda introduced it in 1981. I just got my 1982's working with some WD-40 and thermal cycling it several times with hot and cold water.

I've had some Honda Expresses before, and I've seen your same hard start issue. It's almost like there isn't enough choke. I usually end up taking off the airbox cover and use my hand to draft enough fuel in to make it start up.

I finally had it once, and installed a replacement carb from a motorized bike kit. Problem solved. I think the main seals start to wear excessively, and there is not enough drafting through the case to pull in fuel any more.

1143863829_yellowexpress5.jpg

Thanks -- Where did you find a replacement carb I think this carb is just junk.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account