Make shift tool to get at points

Dennis Williams /

I'm new to the moped world and need to get at my points to change them. Any one know how I can subsitute a "pinch wrench" to hold the cover while I turn the nut to get it off??

Re: Make shift tool to get at points

Pinch wrench???? What's a pinch wrench?

Here is an idea. Go to the hardware store and get about a 2 ft length of 1" angle iron. Measure a couple of holes in the flyheel and then drill two holes in the end of the angle iron to match what you measured. Install in the holes a couple of 1/4" bolts with nuts on either side of the iron.

Adjust the poition of the nuts so that the bolts stick out only enough to engage the holes in the flyheel. You do not want the bolts to stick too far into the flywheel or else you can damage the coils inside.

I have heard that you can use a piece of hardwood also.

Be careful

Ben Van Zoest /

You could use a pinch wrench, available at SEARS if you mean the gizmo with the band.

I use a Craftsman strap wrench, like $12 for two.

Grey

live to ride, RIde to work

Of course you will still want a flywheel puller. MWH or handybikes has them.

Grey

Live to ride, ride to work

Jason Luther /

get about a foot of soft rope and stuff it into your sparkplug hole to softly stop the piston and then loosen the nut

Dennis Williams /

The moped repair book shows a pinch wrench as a V type tool that fits in the rotor windows (to adjust points) and locks in so you can use counter force to get the rotor nut off. Its almost as you describe in making one...Thanks

Dennis Williams /

I'm afraid the "gizmo with the band" if you mean an oil filter wrench- will just slip. Thanks

Dennis Williams /

Never herd of a strap wrench- but I will definitly look into that.

Thanks.

Dennis Williams /

Thanks - who is MWH?? and where would I find Handybikes ?

Thanks

Dennis Williams /

FAR FU__ING OUT. Neat Trick!!! Thanks

a large oil filter wrench does it for me

Thanks Jason, I forgot about that trick. But now that I have made the tool I will not have to try the rope trick.

Etheran St.james /

Allen Murphy /

I've also done that for doing replacing valve seals and springs to keep the valves in place--beats the SHIT out of compressed air!

Allen

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account