How do I make it go faster?

79 Puch Magnum XK

Recently was posting on here because it was running slow .. very slow .. too slow .. and couldn't figure out why. Got a number of answers back from people saying to try this and try that. none of it worked.

So I sprayed some carb cleaner in the air filter... and BINGO

It doesnt feel like its loosing power anymore and its running faster... but not fast enough.

It tops only about 23 MPH and I know it can go at least 30-35.

Noticed there is some carb buildup in the exauhst .. if I totally cleaned this out would this increase the speed? What if I take the whole thing off first just to see if it runs faster without it?

Re: How do I make it go faster?

"So I sprayed some carb cleaner in the air filter… and BINGO"

This tells me that the carb is not clean.. god only knows.. mopeds have there ways..

The carb IS cleaned. Took the entire thing apart and cleaned it inside out. Got a new main jet for it which was different, put it in , and it ran even slower. So I put the old one back in and was about to start it up when I remembered it had no gas in it. So I sprayed some carb cleaner in the air filter just to fire it up real quick and she fired up better than ever before. It had to be the carb cleaner. This wasn't the first time I took out the main jet.

the engine does need to breath in and out, so the exhaust is worth checking.. sometimes carbon builds up in the port or in the muffler, restricting the engine's ability to "exhale"

however, the little engines are so sensitive to carburation that it's worth double checking the fuel system.. i agree that if just spraying something into the carb made a difference that carb needs to be closely re-examined.

the carb was closely examined 5 different times. it's very clean. maybe it's the amount of fuel comming into the carb through the fuel line?

noticed that the air filter looked a little clogged. then after i sprayed the carb cleaner on it and let the engine breath out , popped it back out and looked at the air filter again , it looked more clear. held it up to a light source and could see through it better. maybe this was the problem. not sure.

i assumed you already checked for good fuel flow into the carb .. and that you already checked for air (vacuum) leakage between the carb and engine, etc, etc.. and had narrowed it down to carburation.

if allowing _more_ air in makes it run better, _too much_ fuel is getting into the engine (more fuel requires more air).

This could be due to something simple like a too-high float level..

i hate to say it but it comes back to the fuel delivery system again..

take off your pipe and clean it. heat the header up and bang the carbon out. make sure the air filter screen is clean. dip it in carb cleaner or gas and then let it dry out. make sure the main jet is clean. check to see if your exhaust port is also clogged if so scrape the carbon out. switch to a thinner head gasket if possible.

DID YOU TRY POOPING IN UR MOUTH AND RIDING IT THAT USALLY MAKES ME FLY.

try it out

bigger piston etc. do t all id say my friend had one and it pushed between 50-60mph

Luke Evans /

okay have you checked fuel to the fuel bowl? is there a fuel filter in your system? clean it out! clean the air filter, have you checked the cyclinder for carbon? if it looks likt (see attachment) then it needs cleaning out!!!

luke

1143577064_dcp00366.jpg

Weight reductions, or speed holes your choice. Or both if your feeling dangerous.

Luke Evans /

:) but not in your piston

luke

maybe it could be that your simply not connecting the carb back up correctly

does it rev up as much as it should...if not it could be the cable isnt tight enough or something of that nature

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account