HELP! MY MOPED IS SICK!

Alright I have no clue what is wrong so any help as to where to start would be great!

My bike won't start (there is gas, new spark-plug) when I push the clutch in it makes this strange clunky sound, and now when I push the clutch in the pedals won't even move and once I let go of the clutch it pedals...?

PLEASE HELP!

I'm lost w/out my moped...I HATE THE BUS!

Re: HELP! MY MOPED IS SICK!

heidi,

bad news. you're probably gonna have to take the bus. what make and model moped is it?

Hey-

Its a 1984 puch maxi...whats wrong with it?

Leon Swarmer /

need more info. When did lit last run?

It ran yesturday for a couple blocks and then died, made a clunky metal sound and made it again when I tried to start it. I know there was the right premix of oil in the gas. And now when the clutch is engaged it just wont pedal, it feels locked.

well if there is a clunky metal sound being made, and it seems to be locked up, then its probably not good,

regardless its a puch, and you should be able to get it going again soon

make sure you have adequate spark fuel and compression, try and turn your magento by hand, and make sure that it can spin, if it wont spin, take your top end apart and see if everything is moving in that area, if everything moves in that area, and nothing has been siezed up, take your clutch cover off and make sure that the clutch isnt locked up somehow

if something is locked up it has to be in either the top end or clutch, probably the top end area, either the magneto side bearing, the piston and rings, or the crankshaft webs

Ben Van Zoest /

Heidi, sounds like you need a mechanic anyone in your branch that can help you?

i've had trouble with the 3 major areas of a puch 2-speed. cylinder, flywheel, and transmission. each resulted in disassembling the engine and searching for parts.

Mostly likely,, broken rings, remove fly wheel cover 1st. then Remove 4 nuts on head.Remove 2 exhaust nuts and pull down header clear of cylinder. Try to rotate flywheel forward and backwards if cylinder moves with motion, it's seized or broken rings, most of the time with broken rings. you'll see dents/chucks on the dome of the head As soon as you pull the head. if cylinder slides off piston easy. and flywheel still won't move. you have other issues.

Tools you'll need to check.

A Ratchet driver, 10mm socket and short extension.( For nut removal)

a flathead screwdriver. (for fly wheel cover)

Good luck

POWEREDBYPUCH

im goin with bad rings too

Bad rings, for me, have always spat themselves out. Then it just keeps running slower and slower and slower until pedalling is faster, and eventually is the only sound I hear, as I pull into my yard.

I'd hope for a ring problem, but I'd bet on the tranny or connecting rod. I'd think for a clunk sound, prob'ly not bearings, unless they just fell out somehow, into the crankcase.

I feel for ya, but alot of us have been there!

--_DeeZy_

when the tranny went on me, the second gear clutch plate tore to shreds and locked up the rear wheel. it had very few miles on it. but i do think the 1-speed is great.

HELP! MY MOPED IS SICK!

Thanks you guys! Yeah the sound it made still sends chills up my spine. Like a metal on metal clank clunk shit. :/ this just sucks. Yes I'm going to try and have Benji from my branch come over and gimme the run down. But from the sound and what all you are saying it doesnt sound good at all...I'm lost w/out my moped.

Does this happen from wear or what are the causes?

Is there anywhere online where they have the manuals for free?

keep us posted. we wanna know.

Leon Swarmer /

mopedriders.org in the moped repair section. free manuals.

Even if it is seized you can easliy get a nea top end here in town. The causes are usually.... bad premix or runnin lean (caused by too much air). if it wasnt that it could have been a million different things,

Ben Van Zoest /

However sweet she is I don't think she has the foggiest idea what we are talking about in our sincere meant advice.

She belongs to a branch with plenty good men who can fix her ped quick...

I may not know how to do everything on my Moped...Yes this is true. But just like everybody I am learning as I go...Just like you did. I am very appreciative for all the advice and tips you guys have given me because at least I know where to start and it makes sense. I just need good teachers.

Vell, ye gots gude help, most of the time, here. Unless you're a 12 year-old N.J. kid who's pissed because their parents won't let them ride downtown, and they want suggestions on parent-control.

-dz

heidi,

what has happened so far?

Well...heres the update...I need a new magneto, argh.

Here goes a month w/out my moped.

:/

But at least its beginning to get fixed.

it turned out that her crank bearings were blown. her head,cylinder and piston were totally fine. Ben from westcoast is gonna rebuild for her.

That Sucks :(

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account