sachs wiring delema

roadent$ craig /

alright, i got my new rear light in the mail today, and i was checking if the wire going to the back even still works...i messed around with a couple wiring combinations and i got it working, but it triggered the kill switch, now thinking about it, wiring this puppy might be more difficult than i thought.

its a 1976 sachs moppet, it has 3 wires coming from the engine.

i dont have brake lights on this moped, but the light i bought is made for a moped that has brake lights, i plan on just using one bulb in the light.

the tricky problem is that, my kill switch is on my headlight....i am also replacing the headlight soon too....so what the plan right now, is to obtain a separate switch that can be used for my kill switch and just have the ilghts constantly running, a switch would be nice, but im not worried about that right now.

sachs wiring delema

roadent$ craig /

please....can anyone help me?

Re: sachs wiring delema

craigery,

you make a lot of sense. the kill switch is not part of the lighting. i think there's a blue wire at the coil at terminal 1. that wire also goes to the kill switch. frankly, i wouldn't worry about the kill switch yet. get everything else working first.

the lights are all going to run off one wire. i think that's the yellow wire. unless you have a resistor in-line between the yellow wire and the tail light, it will get just as much juice as the headlight.

roadent$ craig /

i tried different combinations, but nothing is working....i dont know to much about electrical work....i thought the kill switch was the black wire, but my headlight only wants to light up if that an the yellow wire are wired together. here are a ton of pictures.

here is my engine. the left wires are yellow and black the other one goes to teh spark plug.

here is some more wiring. the grey one comes from the headlight and goes to the rear.

here are my wires that connect to the headlight. remember one is used for the kill switch as well and the grey one leads directly to the rear light.

headlight, the first 2 prongs are for the headlight, the last one on the right is for the kill switch, which is that metal prong hanging down, it touches the metal casing to kill the engine.

here are more photos of my rear light wire, and my new rear light, keep in mind also that i only want one of the bulbs to actually work, because i didnt have brake lights on my last light.

i've seen all the sachs diagrams floating around on this website, but none are looking like they suit my moped. i hope someone can help me out here.

craigery,

let's simplify this, and try to get you spark. make a note of where the yellow wire goes and disconnect it. don't let it touch anything.

the blue wire has to do one important thing, it has to go to the coil at terminal 1. there should be a 1 on the coil, do you see it?

the black wire does two important things, it goes to the coil at terminal 15, and it also gets grounded. the best place for this grounding is at the coil armature. that's the silver metal thing with the two holes in it.

if your kill switch is wired wrong, you'll never get a spark. disconnect the kill switch, but make a note of the wiring.

i used to kill my sachs by grabbing the flywheel. you have to remove the cover to do that.

you have to get it running before you can kill it.

do you know how to test for spark?

roadent$ craig /

no i do not know how to test for a spark.

like i can get the headlight to work. so theres electricity moving through the wires...i really dont know how to wire it all correctly.

I haven't messed with a sachs with the internal coil, but here's my theory:

The black is usually a ground, the yellow should go to the head and taillight, and the gray is the kill switch... and the rear light bulb?

If you only disconnect the grey from the headlight, there should be no kill switch function.

It looks like there is only a single wire to the rear taillight, so you will have to ground it there. Just pick one of the bulbs, plug in the wire and run a ground to the center tab.

You need to figure out where the black wire goes- It may be set up with a resistor, and the rear light bulb will kill the engine when it blows out. You will first need to see if you can hook everything up and see if it works- then check for shorts along any of the wires.

It's going to be tricky-

Good luck.

roadent$ craig /

the black wire is most definetly the kill switch, when i have nothing hooked up, and i touch the black wire to anything metal it kills the engine.

the thing i need to work out is the rear light, i can get my headlight to operate, but it gets tricky once it comes down to the rear light.

i randomly hooked up some wires in teh back and i had it so if i touch a wire to metal, the rear light lights up...but then kills the engine immediatly after. im obviously not doing it right, and have little knowledge of electrical work.

roadent$ craig /

the black wire is most definetly the kill switch, when i have nothing hooked up, and i touch the black wire to anything metal it kills the engine.

the thing i need to work out is the rear light, i can get my headlight to operate, but it gets tricky once it comes down to the rear light.

i randomly hooked up some wires in teh back and i had it so if i touch a wire to metal, the rear light lights up...but then kills the engine immediatly after. im obviously not doing it right, and have little knowledge of electrical work.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account