FLYWHEEL FREEDOM!!

Yippee!!!

It worked!

Dumped a ton of WD40 down the spark plug hole for 2 days, and its not siezed anymore!

Flywheel goes turney-turney! Piston goes uppie downie!!

Thanks for the advice guys! Saved me from buying a new motor, which i never thought I was going to be able to get out of...

Now I'm wondering, if you dont mind guiding me step by step guys, what next? Should i clean the rusty flywheel etc? and if so, with what? or should i slap the cover back on, put it back on my ped, get a coil and see if it starts?

Re: FLYWHEEL FREEDOM!!

try tarting but make sure you have it lubed up i would cleant rust etc. wit steel wool

jen,

don't do anything with the flywheel. if tomos is anything like every other moped i've ever seen. then there is a danger of damaging it.

1. the main engine bearings MUST be in good shape. spin is ok. any other loose play, side to side, up and down, is not.

2. there has to be adequate distance between the flywheel magnets and the poles. .016" works for puch and sachs. probably works for tomos.

i owned a puch and the main bearings were worn. the flywheel magnet hit the pole and broke the magnet off the pole. i suppose it could have also damaged the pole and the base plate. i'm lucky it didn't. not only that, it can cause the back wheel to lock up, which can get you killed.

now that it isn't siezed, a determination has to be made as to the compression that it has. put some gear oil in it if you have some, if not, 10w40, if not, 10w30. work that engine for a spell. you may still need a piston and cylinder. of course, i hope not.

there is some compression now... i dont know how to tell if its enough...

how do i know how much is enough? right now if i put my finger where the spark plug goes and turn the flywheel it sucks my finger down on the hole like a suction cup....

jen,

that's good news. there's a special tool that is used to measure that. it screws into the spark plug hole. it also has a section of hose and a gauge.

not only that, the engine also has to be put back on the bike, and pedals need to be installed, and a starter/engagement mechanism needs to be introduced to move the piston. you would need to do all that anyway, even if you took it for granted that it had good compression.

for now, just keep working it, and applying new oil. the idea is wash away that rust that is coming loose without grinding it into the cylinder walls.

Leon Swarmer /

Congrats wildflower. it's a great feel, I know...

while you have the flywheel cover off take a look through the cut out slots and look at your points. . Are they opening and closing too? bet you need to file them to clean them a bit.

check the gap.

should i take off the head and make sure theres not a lot of rust involved? right now it doesnt feel like its grinding any when i turn it, and it turns easily w/ the touch of a finger

Jen,

no, leave the head on. you have done real good with that and also your luck was pretty good. any rust in there is so small that you wouldn't really notice it. have you taken a look down the spark plug hole with a flashlight? it might be shiny and smooth, which is what we want.

you have a bunch of other things that need to be addressed. how do those pedal arms look? are there threads in them? how about the chain? all the links have to bend back and forth freely. do the wheels spin good? do the brake mechanisms work? are the cables siezed? and how about that legal issue?

am i a pain in the fanny? i have to work in the morning. i'll hollar at ya tommorow.

ok in order i hope:

down the sparkplug hole: sadly not shiny and pretty... more like cement color

pedal arms i probably need new... looks like they may have been cross-threaded at one time and the threads are rusty as all heck. there are no pedals right now

chain seems perfect to me... it doesnt catch at any of the links, and it doesnt twist so... just dirty

wheels spin ok

brakes do work but:

brake cables not totally siezed, but very stiff.. im gonna pb em tomorrow am

and i went to DMV and they told me to fill out whatever this form is here, and apply for a new vin, since one of the reasons for doing so is because of "missing vin" and then title it. that with the "had it over a year" thing should have me covered

and no i feel no pains....lol

Jen,

most of the time when i receive a pedal type moped i get one of the pedal arms with the pedal arms threads stripped or cross threaded. someone in it's past probably forced a left hand thread into a right hand thread arm, or vise-versa.

brakes are easy. you are going to breeze through that like it wasn't a problem.

i forgot to ask this. you know how i worry about everything. well, the flywheel does go completely around, doesn't it?

i guess the cement color is better that brown, probably not much though. silver is what we want.

well, i gotta go mix it up with the public. i'm gonna email you later.

yes flywheel goes round and roudn all i want in either direction. and i pb'd it more last night and spun the heck out of it for a while, so hopefully itll clean up some if i keep doing it...

lol.. it surprised me when it peed on me though...lol.. i wasnt thinking about it, and just clean forgot that would happen... good thing it was in a box at the time and not my lap...lol

still making progress... got the rear brake cable working tonight... front will be for tomorrow... giving the PB some time to do part of the work for me on the adjustor and brake arm since the front one sticks more than the rear did.

thinking about maybe putting the motor etc back on tomorrow too to see if itll think about kick-starting

do you have pedals? i didn't think you did. you're coming along real nice. don't forget the carburetor. hit that with some of your PB also.

i dont have pedals at the moment, but ive been checkin junk bikes for a pair of 9/16.. should turn up a pair soon i hope... and the previous owner had a bolt thru the hole for the one pedal... apparently thats what they used for the kick start...

and will do right now on the carb..

and do you ever sleep?? lol....

i hope when he put a bolt through the hole that he didn't damage the pedal shaft cutting. there's a wedge pin/bolt that fits in there. at least that's the case with puch and sachs.

if you can, take a close-up of the pedal shaft. at least on the side where he put this bolt in. unless you know for sure that it is not damaged. i'm sure you can tell. i never advocate that kind of jerry-rigging, unless it's a dire emergency. i will also be on the look out for pedals and pedal arms. you might want to post a thread asking if batavus pedals will fit your tomos, or any other make of moped for that matter. i did see some batavus pedals on ebay. that's why i mentioned it.

i usually hit the hay at about midnight, give or take an hour.

wish you could hear this.. we just put the motor back on, and even just using a hand on the padal shaft to kick-start it wants to run.. im certain that if i had a coil and spark plug and fuel it would be running... so now im looking for the lil things i know i need...

throttle cable, speedo cable, ignition coil, spark plug, muffler, and pedals... yippee!!!

you are in such a good mood right now, i don't want to ruin it with a technicality.

i hope youre referring to the fact that im at a dead stop till i get the coil and throttle cable.....

how do u know the coil is bad? are ya sure its not the points, or a rusty flywheel or a broken wire? they dont usually go bad.......mine had the end ripped off, so i bought a used one....

and pedals with arms. and how about the pedal shaft. what kind of shape is it in?

dont even have one.. thats why im sure i need a new one.. its one of the things that was missing when i got it

i have the arms, just not the pedals.. and the shaft looks ok so far...

so whats the bad news? and should i call to hear it or do ya wanna keep playing tag here?

sorry, i thought i posted it. if all this is assembled and it doesn't spark, you are going to need new points.

i'm gonna have to double check when i post on here.

true. but at least what ive got going on so far is promising as hell.. i never in a million years would have thought i'd get that engine un-siezed.... not after a 300+lb man jumped on it trying to kick start it and it wouldnt budge...

so all in all im feeling pretty positive ill admit

i think i have a line on a coil... im just waiting to see if the guy gives me an addy, and if not someone from italy emailed me that he has one too, so im gonna buy one from SOMEONE this friday...

the spark plug i can obviously get anywhere, and the pedals i can scav off a bicycle for the time being...

so hopefully in a week or so ill just be needing the throttle cable, and to redo a bunch of wires and flush the gas tank etc.

i'm still wondering how a 300 pound man could have tried to pedal it and was unable to, then you were able to get it unsiezed. will bicycle pedals work?

i know it has me baffeled too.. in the beginning it would pedal forward, but even w/ him hopping on it the pedals wouldn't go backwards.... now theyll turn w/ a finger or 2... amazing i know...

and from what i saw on moped junkyard, they dont make aftermarket pedals like the originals, so he sells basic 9/16 bicycle pedals as replacements.... just gotta watch what i get cuz most bicycles have 1/2" instead.. but any bike shop should have 9/16 and if im lucky ill be able to take some from one of the many bikes i see getting thrown out all the time...

i used to buy and sell bicycles with my daughter as a hobby. i still have a load of pedals around. no kidding. something else has come to mind, so i'm just gonna come right out and say it. does the pedal cranks spin in both directions now? and i'm gonna double check this post.

yes it spins happily in both directions w/ just a couple fingers..

go forwards and the chain turns back wheel, turn backwards and it kicks the motor over and makes a nice rumble rumble

ill wait on buying pedals till youve had a chance to dig thru yours.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account