Honda MB5 Wheels Locked Up

Well the wheels on my Honda mb5 are VERY hard to move. I disconnected the back break cable and its still locked up. So what exactly would the problem be?

Thanks

Re: Honda MB5 Wheels Locked Up

your calibers are locked in place

What are calibers you mean like brakes pads?

yah that or your axel is to tight but if u just bought it? i dont know but take it off and check the pads and clean it

Alright thanks, i'll do that tommorow

If you brakes are free, check the wheel bearings. Its a good thing to inspect wheel bearings and brakes when you first get a bike.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

So Grey what could possibly be wrong with the wheel bearings?

Leon Swarmer /

heat, lack of lube, water, dirt, impact. Any can cause them to bind.

Ps you won't find calipers unless you have disc brakes

Leon (not Grey)

Leon Swarmer /

Does the arm that the brake cable was connected to move freely, throughout the range it should?

The arm with the brake cable does move freely so I guess its the wheel bearing. Would all I have to do is clean them?

I also have front disk breaks so and the front break handle barely has to be pulled before completey locking up the wheel. But I don't know how to adjust the disk break but I have a shop manual on the way.

you should remove da grease and repack it just dont lose any bearings lol

alright thanks, i'll try this today

DIFF.....Jason /

ok use like brake grease or somthin

Yeah I have some marine grease.

DIFF.....Jason /

good

Here's the question, are they sealed bearings? I would think they would be, but you never know.

Grey

I don't think they're sealed bearings, but thanks for the link!

I took apart the back axle and its not a sealed bearing. But its coated with a very heavy grease and gives almost zero lube. So I'm cleaning it off now.

I can't seem to penetrate the grease on the chain and sprocket! And I also soaked the chain in chlorox and laundry detergant. Anyone have any solutions.

Hard dried grease is a pain, dry spraying with carb cleaner or brake cleaner and scraping it with something like a Popsicle stick.

Grey

The grease on my chain is not coming off! I'm thinking about drenching is in gas and lighting it up to burn the grease. What do you guys think?

gas might be ok. lighting it, not ok.

I soaked it in gas and carb cleaner and its not coming off, so I might light it up tommorow

DIFF.....Jason /

try putting it in 2cycle oil/gas might help lossen and make it more uhhh manuveralbe i guess who cares if he lightit it wolnt hurt it just watch out lol

Just replace the chain, they are cheap and your sprockets will thank you in the long run.

Grey

Its still a good chain, it just needs to be cleaned. I'd hate to waste it. I'll try to scrub it off tommorow again.

Luke Evans /

why dont you leave it soaking overnight in engine oil, i use old drained oil, then if its still stuck on go at it with a wire brush, :)

luke

brake cleaner works and so dose the tuff stuff

After reading this whole topic I would have a bunch of questions that were never asked:

Generag question: Has the bike been sitting for years? If so, this would explain a lot of things.

Front Wheel:

It would be very unusual for the bearings to be bad.

I would think that the front brake disc has rusted up. If so, take some sandpaper and sand off the rust.

It would also be possible that the disc brake piston has rusted into the bore of the caliper. If this is the case the caliper will have to be overhauled

Rear Wheel:

After you took off he chain, did the wheel spin freely? If so, then cleaning the chain will solve the problem. To clean it, soak it in a pan of gasoline and then brush it with a stiff brush. Do this outside and do not use a wire brush as you might start a fire.

If the wheel is still hard to turn after taking the chain off then I would think that the brake drum has rusted. Take the brake apart and ssand the drum. Check the brake pivot for free play and grease/lube it.

With all this you should be good to go.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account