Express tap start release

Leon Swarmer /

OK, I know this has been done. My "new" 78 NC50 is wound tight and won't release. I've adjusted the cable and moved the lever by hand. Any options here besides pulling off the dreaded side cover???

"ran when parked"

Leon

1141526613_start_spring_release_.jpg

Re: Express tap start release

DONT REMOVE THE COVER! i learned that lesson 20 years ago about express. if you do have to, do it in a room that is completely clean with nothing but you and the moped in it. things go flying. that moped has what i call save-a-start, where you crank up a spring and then squeeze the Rbrake. does that info help you?

Leon Swarmer /

sorry, no. My first express was an 80 so I am very familiar with how it is suppposd to work.. I'm not at all eager to pull the side off.

Leon

it looks like you have to remove it. i would do it just a little at a time and look in the crack. maybe i could see what the hangup is, or, how to remove it the rest of the way without the flying stuff. wish i could be there to help you.

try beating on the side cover with a rubber mallet a few times while pulling the lever. Make sure the lver is being pulled all the way by the brake lever also. If that don't work you can take apart slowly like Ed said whilee beating the cover with a mallet. It may pop loose before you get the cover removed. Good luck and be safe. I would wear safety glasses for sure! There is a lot of potential energy wound up in that spring.

you see a lot of express trannys for sale on ebay that have been disassembled. that's because once that stuff goes flying, there's no telling how to put it together again. they are a great moped, however.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account