Sachs-Brake prob.

My front and back brakes on my 1978 Sachs Imperial are killing me. They squeak like hell. Only when I try to use them. I have looked at the pads, they seem fine, no metal on metal. I replaced the bearings still not helping. I really need some help.

Re: Sachs-Brake prob.

See Ya Moped Army /

Maybe it's not the brakes, but bad wheel bearings or too much play in the bearings. Clean and repack the wheel bearings. Make sure that the races, cones and ball bearings are all smooth and aren't gouged.

Use emery paper and clean up the wheel linings. Also make sure that there isn't too much play when you reassemble the axle after you clean everything up.

I just replaced the bearings all the way around. So i will just try the other things you suggested, thanks a bunch.

See Ya Moped Army /

Also, make sure that the brake shoes and linings have absolutely no grease or dirt on them when you reassemble the axles. Use brake cleaner to clean them up.

Just out of curiosity, were the cones and races all in good shape when you replaced the bearings? In 99% of the mopeds that I restore, I find that those parts are all gouged up. Even the smallest indentation in those parts will cause problems. It's probably one of the most overlooked aspects of moped restoration.

OK, I remembered at lunch something else. If I tighten them too much they squeak all the time, not just when I apply pressure, not sure if that helps.

i hope the brakes stop you like they should

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account