80 Garelli shocks me but wont spark

I have recently recieved my first actual moped.I dinked around with it for hours the other day.I can shock the myself by grabbing the spark wire and grouning myself but the plug just wont lite up.

Re: 80 Garelli shocks me but wont spark

buy a new plug

tried three brand new plugs

the wiring is jerry rigged by someone and my kill switch is broken

C,mon!! You gotta do better than that to help me Im not an imbecile!

we don't "gotta" do anything...Try reading the repair page on the resources....nobody feels like writing 5 pages on what COULD be wrong. Ask specific questions.

Ben Van Zoest /

Sounds to me like another weirdo coming on-line...

Steve Williams /

is it a big shock?seriously though,how about trying a new plug cap,you obviously have power in the high tension circuit and as you stated you have tried plugs so the plug cap is next in line for attention,if that fails to give a spark then the electrical power is too low so work back through the high tension and low tension circuits until you find the fault.

i had a problem like that so i tried running it with out a boot and it worked just put the metal part on the plug and the wire pinched in to see if it is getting enough spark

Make sure the external coil is grounded properly. This has solved my problems many times.

check all the wires for continuity, all the grounds, the spark plug wire that its screwed into the coil good enough, that the insulation isn't cracked and shorting out against the frame somewhere, all connections for corrosion, and the suggestions the other mopeders made.

do what they told you dump a lil bit of 2 stroke gas down the cyla nd put he plug in a give her a good hard kick it will fire up TRUT ME

ryan thats the worst advice ever. What the hell is 2 stroke gas? The gas they have in europe where its premixed at the gas station? Or do you mean oil, in which case the advice is even worse...2 stroke oil by itself doesn't burn worth a damn. And the piston will move so damn slowly with all that oil it won't even THINK about firing up (not to mention all the carbon you are building up)

gas + oil = gas and oil mixed which is what a moped use duh dump a lil down thew compression chamber and putt he plug in. thats how i found out my coil was toast.

and no its not bad add. it worked for me mind your ok.

mind your own ok*

this fourm needs a edit button

Terron, I would definatly say your point gap is open too far. Remove the flywheel cover, and possibly the fan if there is one on your engine(Sorry, i'm a garelli newb), and behind the flywheel you should see a little device that opens and closes as you turn the engine over. This should only open to about 0.014-0.016in. Also make sure your coil is grounded too!

that was an excellent suggestion by streetcruiser. too bad you don't have a spare coil with the wire and the cap, that you could just slap on there quick, for the heck of it. the question is, are you getting the correct electricity to the coil?

thanks for the advice everyone!!!except the ass that called me a weirdo!!

I would put money on the condensor being bad.....

can anyone help tell me the proper way to wire my condensor?It was tweaked when i got the bike.I really just want it to run.Its summer IWANT TO RIDE!!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account