What the hell is in my carb?

So I took the carb off because I'm switching to pre-mix and want to make sure everything's clean. I got a new in-line filter (had none previously) and wanted to install that.

So I took the fuel line off the back of the carb and put a clear Glad-Ware container underneith... A little bit of the fuel that came out was brick red. So i opened the petcock and let a little more come out and it was perfectly clear. I installed the filter and decided to crack open the carb. First, i took the K&N off and noticed this same color fuel sitting in the lip of the carb intake.

As I dug further in more and more of the fuel in the carb was this tainted red. I took the banjo housing off the back to clean the filter and there was a TON of this red gunk back there, some even made it past the filter! The filter was almost half-clogged with it! I took teh bowl off and the whole bottom of the bowl was filled with this same residue.

I HAVE ridden this moped within the past month and it ran amazingly, started 1st kick and all. I suppose it's great that I caught a potential problem now... but my concern is what caused it to begin with? The tank had fuel in it, there's no rust in the tank, the gas coming out of the tank is clear... so it must've been something inside the carb to begin with..

Anyone have any ideas?

DannyMoped07

Re: What the hell is in my carb?

That my friend is surface rust that has washed off into the fuel. I have the same problem. I'm thinking about using a paper element filter to see how much that helps. I've tried Draining and flushing the tank out, but it comes back after a week or so.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

ya im getign a furl line filter from the tractor place up the street because my tank has a little bit of rust in it

surface rust is not a huge deal. it is usually isnt even big enough to clog your jet. just take your float needle out. soak the bastard in cleaner overnight. instal a new in-line filter and add some more fuel line. Make sure the fuel line goes down before it goes up. rust is very heavy and it will settle at the bottom of the fuel line. let it collect for a week or two and then just clean the fuel line out.

If you have rust - check for water

Danny,

A gas tank with gasoline in it doesn't rust - there is no air or water. Just liquid gasoline and gasoline vapor.

So if you have rust - I would drain and pull the tank and first look for accumulated water in the bottom. They can run for a long time with just a little water in the bottom of the tank.

Drain, flush, and refill the tank - look for water drops in the container that you drain the tank into.

If you have rust you can clean the tank by filling it with white vinegar.

PHM

Re: If you have rust - check for water

Alright, I just checked the tank thisafternoon with a mirror and flashlight, there's NO RUST IN THE TANK WHATSOEVER. Completely clean. That's why I'm worried about this red junk in my carb. It's not red like rust red, i know what that looks like. This was more of a ground up brick, almost cayanne pepper type substance. Rust is usually more orange than that and sticks together a whole hell of a lot harder.

Still confused on this.

hope it wont happen again, i threw an in-line filter in and cleaned everything out really well.

DannyMoped07

Listen to your old uncle stevie -

Danny,

I have been working on and riding old motorcycles for a long long time. The res stuff is almost certainly rust particles. And tank rust comes from water.

Clean and flush the tank really well with first gasoline and then alcohol. Let it dry - an air hose or hair drier work for this. Pour in a gallon or two of white vinegar. Let it sit over night. Rinse it well with gasoline.

Re-install it with a motorcycle-grade fuel filter.

And, even if I am completely wrong - at the very least you will have proven that it wasn't water/rust. <g>

BTW: Always keep the tank as full as you can - especially during times of limited riding.

PHM

--------------------

Re: Listen to your old uncle stevie -

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tips.

DannyMoped07

It's also possible you got a rusty batch of gas, maybe from a metal gas can or from a mom and pop gas station.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

It's moped blood. Or rust. Probably rust.

real K&amp;N filter?

It may not be rust. You or the factory might have over oiled your K&N filter, which uses red oil. It's nasty sticky stuff, but not as bad as foam filter oil.

Get a filter cleaner kit, and wash it. If you use the spray oil, make sure you are pretty far away from the filter and dust it on. It will wick and spread around. You want the filter to have an even color, but not drip.

The filter oil will still let you run, but it may eventually gum things up.

Re: real K&amp;N filter?

Hmm... good to know. The oil I got with the kit was in a little package that i squeezed onto the fins. Maybe I should get the cleaner kit and just wash it out of there.

DannyMoped07

John Joedicke /

That little bulb of oil would do your filter a couple of times. If you used it all at once ,what you have probably found is the excess in your carb throat.

It is rust, I had the same thing.

you never did say what kind of moped it is. if you have a drain screw on the carb, drain the gas out every day. also get a hose that will reach to the bottom of the tank and siphon the gas out while you shake the moped. you have to babysit that gas and if you don't the moped will die on the road. get all of the gas out and make sure only good gas goes in. i put it in a big can and put a shirt over the spout to strain the gas and only pour from the top. it's a headache, but beats pushing the moped. that crud that you're getting is 1% you, and 99% the gas station.

umm.. thanks.. but that's a little dumb.

yeah, cleaned the tank out... there's no rust on the walls of the thing, but there were red crumbs in the bottom of the tank... i think it was just a batch of bad gas....

BTW. The bike is an 04 TTLX. I didnt put the whole bulb of K&N oil on the filter either... Just enough to barely cover it. However, I should still clean it... I found this new oil (not K&N) that's spray-on.. very thin, but works awesome. My brother got it with a ram-air intake for his car...

So that's all. Thanks for the help.

DannyMoped07

John Joedicke /

Filter your old gas through a coffee filter

Lol.. I'm done.. it's fixed. lol. No more worries.

DM07

cool.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account