Rear Wheel Nut

The rear wheel nut seems impossible to get off with a wrench. Are there any techniques people use to remove the rear wheel? If all else fails, I might go to a car garage and get them to torque it off, I'm afraid that they will mess up the threads. Any suggestions?

WillyT

Re: Rear Wheel Nut

Any takers?

We need to know more, what kind of moped, which wheel?

You gave us an enigma.

Leefran

sounds like your threads might already be messed up, but... try some penetrating oil, let it soak for a while then try the wrench again. if that doesn't work, try a bigger wrench or put a pipe on the one you've got.

the other option is to put 2 nuts on the other side. twist them together until they are tight. then grip that side with a big wrench and your side with another wrench. by putting the 2 nuts together it stops them from rotating around the axel. this gives you the leverage you need.

First do as dat808 says. Then do two things, borrow a nut splitter from a mechanic. Saw across the nut being careful to stop just short of the axles threads, this will probably have to be done at a narrow angle across the nut. When you get done, take a chisel and hammer and finish spliting the nut in half.

lay the chisel at an angle in the direction that will loosen the nut.

Good luck!!

My bad, that should have been, do as dat808 says, then borrow a nut splitter from a mechanic or

Saw across the nut, and so on.

Getting tired, need some sleep.

Does your bike have the single swingarm/rear end? So when you try to take the single axle nut off the wheel spins?

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

Yes, the nut and wheel spin when I try to take the nut off. I've tried locking the rear brake and sitting on the rear wheel why trying to turn this nut and it still wants to spin.

then you've got to get another wrench on something to hold it in place. fingers idea would work, or another wrench on the lock nut on the other side of the dropout (on the same side of the bike you're working on.) if the whole wheel is spinning careful because you will be grinding down the threads where the axle meets dropout. luck.

Try penetrating fluid( dont let it get on the brakes), you dont really want to put anything in the rim to keep it from spinning because it might bend the spokes.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

use an impack wrench, air, electric , or even a hand one. that will usually start them ,then you can take them off by hand

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account