Garelli 1978 Gransport has no spark

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Hi everyone. I just got a 1978 Gransport that isnt currently running.

The previous owner said he got it running with a little tweaking but so far I havent been able to produce a spark (the air filter is clean and the gas makes it to the engine so once I figure this out it should work). If anyone has a wiring diagram or maybe some advice on this it would be very helpful.

Thank you

Re: Garelli 1978 Gransport has no spark

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

Try cleaning the points first. Check Fred's guide under "resources" to learn how to do this.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Ive tried looking for the points

on one side if I open up the ignition cover I get a compartment full of oil and what looks to be a flywheel and another wheel of some sort (which the clutch presses on to engage the ignition). It has about 6 or 8 points sticking up that are held in place i assume by a locking ring

the other side of the ignition cover when I open it up I get what looks to be a generator and I dont see any points that I can reach to put sandpaper under.

Im sure that someone has some experience with a 78 gransport and can help me out here..

See Ya Moped Army /

The points are on the "generator" side of the motor. You have to look through the "windows" of the flywheel to see the points. Use a nail file to clean the points up. Sandpaper would be too hard to get into the points.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

I am very confused. Here is a picture of the "generator" side. There are no holes going to the flywheel. The other side I did not open because I dont want to deal with the grease right now and all. The other side has what looks most definitley to be a flywheel though, although there are no contact points that I can see.

1139962405_100_2137.jpg

Looking through those three oval-shaped things, while you turn the metal wheel thing over with your hand, you should see your points opening and closing at some point there. When you find them, get it so that they're open, and then use the nail file on each side of the points (things that touch).

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

no there dont seem to be any moving parts on that side.

a 78 is too old for electronic ignition right?

See Ya Moped Army /

Look through one of the windows. It's in the 8:00 position. If it's real corroded you may not be able to see the points open when you turn the flywheel. It's definitely in there, trust me.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

The clutch cable on this was broken so while I am doing this I am pushing the clutch in with a screwdriver. When trying to start it with the cover to the "generator" side off I noticed that usually the outside housing of the generator would rarely turn

If the clutch is all the way in as it should be should the housing for the generator be constantly turning?

Ok dude, don't even open the side with the oil in it. Close it up, and refill it with oil. That is your clutch and has nothing at all to do with the electrical system. There is no generator in there.

Under that flywheel you posted a picture of is a bunch of stuff.

I midified your image slightly. Not the piece of curved metal you can see in the window of your flywheel. Note the same piece on the parts diagram. This is part of your points assembly. If the points are dirty, corrdoded, or not opening and closing properly, the engine will not spark.

1140190104_points.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account