tomos 70cc idles fine, give it gas and bogs out,

Billy Romanow /

i put a airsal kit on a tomos with a 16/16 dellorto carb and a power pipe exhaust, when i started it it will idle fine, as soon as i give it any gas it will bog out, i have a brand new carb so i do not tink thats the problem, took the whole cylinder apart and put it back together, same problem, i checked to see if it getting gas and it is. does any one know what the problem is, any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks bill

Re: tomos 70cc idles fine, give it gas and bogs o

Billy Romanow /

i have no other idea what could be wrong

It's probably reunning rich.

maybe. I would guarentee its the air filter. Wrong air filter/air resistance can make your bike go from 20mph to 45mph. That new carb comes with an 82 jet, ive used it too, no problems. Get one of those metal disc filters (old school) try it, take a screen out, try it take a screen out...repeat until it gets better, then starts to suck again, then put a screen back...

I forgot the other possible problem with airsals. Check to see if oil or air is comming out between your head and your cylinder. That also creates major power loss.

Billy Romanow /

i do not think it is the restricted air flow,it even did it with the stock caarb. even before i put all the new parts on it did it one time. turned the moped off, started it the next day ran good

umm there is a 82 jet that comes in the 16/16 carbs you need a 64

Smitty Smith /

I would have guessed like Marc to begin with, lol. A #82 jet in a 16mm carb does sound pretty rich to me. What does your spark plug look like? Also check for any leaks.

Billy Romanow /

the jet is not the problem i dont think, before i bought the 16/16 carb on there i had the stock 1. it did the same problem,it did it one time even when everything was stock. then i sht it off,started it up next morning it ran fine, my spark plug is not foul, it still looks brand new

then the stock setup was broken too, i would stop paying attention to the befores and afters since you have a totally new engine. If however you do want to assume its the same problem, then theres only one problem it could be, and thats timing. If your timing key sheared, then that screws everything up.

Bogging is caused by...

too much air, too little air. (wrong air filter) (air being sucked in/pushed out of the areas around the cylinder base or the head.)

(air leaking out of the exhaust)

too much gas, to little gas. (massively wrong jet)

thats it really, these engines aren't that complicated. If you don't think its any of the above reasons...then you are wrong, check it again. It could be a combination which causes confusion.

jetting high doesn't usually mess you up that bad... Jetting low i suppose can.

Did you try it without the airfilter?

I still think it is running rich.

Billy Romanow /

thanks marc, now if it is the timing, hpw do i fix it

Billy Romanow /

how do you check the timing

It takes 30 seconds to remove an airfilter... TRY removing the airfilter! Check the easy things first!

sigh.....checking timing.....

remove side cover/oil injector.

Lock piston or use airtool to remove flywheel bolt.

use flywheel puller carefully to remove flywheel (crankshaft is made out of shit so don't bang on it).

See if woodruff key is perfectly in its hole. Check stator plate to see if it is loose. Check flywheel key passage for damage.

Put it back on with an airgun without stripping the crankshaft made of shit.

none of this stuff needs to be done, i can guarentee its not the timing unless you have screwed with the timing yourself. Either you gouged some cuts into the crankcase wall or the cylinder base (where they meet). Didn't use the proper base/head gaskets, or didn't seal the head/base gaskets, or didn't torque them down enough, or didn't seal the carb, or don't have the right air filter.

MM I say plug chops.

ok heres some of the problems i''ve had for it bogging, it was actually doing it this afternoon which i don't know why and backfiring but ok heres a decent troubleshooting list.

For bogging #1 problem is caused by too much or too little air.

I have the exact same setup but 1mm carb size smaller and im running a 64 jet, you should be running the same TRUST ME, i have an extra if you would like to buy it from me.

Next thing.... once i got my connections on the right side of the handle bar wet by accident, it would idle but when tryign to give it gas it wasn't getting enough electricity flowing to my plug causing it to short out and leaving unburned fuel.

Timing can be a pain but im pretty sure its not ur timing if u ran b4 w/ only bogging a few times. Are u still running a stock air filter (the ugly box).. if so i recommend derestricting it by taking out the plastic peice inside of it and filing down, or drilling out the restrictive piece inside the intake tube of the airbox. Also check the foam inside to see if its dirty if so could be restricting airflow also.

Hopefully you've tried w/ no airbox on to see if it does it... does it do it when its on your centerstand or only with weight on it?

If none of this works then its probably your timing i'd guess but i highly doubt it.

Good Luck

Sean

TRUST ME is code for DON'T TRUST ME

the name "marc" after a post is the sign for, ahhh not this gay kid again.

Ur right he should probably run a 66 jet with a slightly larger carb than i am running, thanks for pointing that out asshole.

i didn't point anything out. Except that jetting is not a place where you just "trust" someone else with a different setup in a different climate in a different altitude in a different ENVIORNMENT.

When all else fails, call me an asshole! Thatll really prove me wrong.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account