Motobecane stops running.

Kenneth Mcmellon /

I have two motobecanes. A 1976 40v and a 1979 50v.

Both are giving me the same problem. Both will stop running after 10 minutes or a little more. Just die. I'll be cruising down the road and then they will die. Let them sit for 10 or fifteen minutes and they will start right up. Then die again after running for 10 or 15 minutes. again and again. Not sure if it's fuel or electrical. Doesn't appear to be getting spark during that few couple minutes after it dies. Engine is so hot and I'm usually on the side of the road somewhere. Hard to tell for sure. By the time it's cool enough to check it's sparking for sure. (after pushing it home or back to the campsite.) I thought I also saw a cold/frosted intake pipe as well. (seemed weird since the engine was so hot. ) Please help. Anybody. I hope this is a common/fixable thing with motobecanes.

I also have 1980 Moby. Which never has this problem.

Also tons of spare parts if I can help.

Kenneth

Re: Motobecane stops running.

See Ya Moped Army /

If there is no spark after it dies, it could be a bad condensor. I would also check plug cap, plug wire and points.

Condenser!

This is a very common motobecane problem.

Old condensers stop working once they get hot.

I have had the same thing on most of my mobies

Mike McScoutington /

agreed

Kenneth Mcmellon /

IS there 6v and 12v condensors?

Mike McScoutington /

yes.

anything pre 1977 is a 6 volts system and post 1977 is a 12 volt condensor. you can varify this by looking behind your horn. if you have a little heat sink (zenor diode) it is a 6 volt system

the ignition system is the same on post 77 bikes .

post 78 bikes added an extra coil for lighting, and

the diode is in the lighting system.

The ignition still comes off a single coil right?

any motobecane condenser should be fine.

Mike McScoutington /

but they are different shape to accomidate the extra coil. that is unless the condensor is on the outside of the stater.

Go to Auto Zone, ask for a condenser for a 1967 Chevy Nova 6 cylinder engine. Hook this up on the grey wire going to the coil from the points and you will be in business for under $3.00

Mike McScoutington /

does it fit in the stater? if you have this setup could you post a pic so i can see.

Could it be the fuel vent also?

It doesn't matter where the condenser is located as long as it is hooked up to the right wire. I also notice that old Honda's located the condenser up by the coil.

Mike McScoutington /

i now you can put the condensor anywhere, but i like how clean it is with the condensor located inside the stater even rather than on the backside like some models have. how big is the chevy piece?

NOS condensers on the way!

I just bought a lot of 10 NOS motobecane condensers on ebay.

(my dream auction)

I need a few, and I will sell the others pretty cheaply.

I just need to wait for them to ship from Australia.

Tell me if you want any.

Re: NOS condensers on the way!

If you want the correct part, you can get the two coil or outside the stator condensor from pretty much any moped shop, like 1977mopeds.com or mopedwarehouse.com, i think, and the condensor for the three coil magnetos can be obtained from BJ at Handy Bikes.

Hey daytripper. I bought the 67 nova condeser. there were 3 wires coming out of the points stator thing. one white and one red that clip in place and a grey wire surrounded by black rubber. I cut the grey one and attached the condenser to the one going up to the handlebars. Am I supposed to ground the condenser somehow? Did I do this right? The headlight comes on when I run with the bike but it doesn't fire up. It fired up fine before I did this.

Thanks

Check condensor...some times when these go bad the heat from the engine will cause them to cut out thus killing the bike. The frosted intake sounds like carb icing I had on a vw bust...but only in cold weather...never heard of this on a ped...intake is not long enough....I would check electrical first. If you happen to have a spare black plastic intake piece that will fit a gurtner carb on a 77 mobylette (50v) I will gladly purchase it from you and pay for shipping! Thank you and good luck!

make sure the condensor is grounded and the engine is grounded to the frame.

Make sure you clean the exhaust out every 2-1 years. All that carbon build up could be chocking your engine out. You might also have a coil getting ready to die, check all connections. Your fuel may also be an issue depending on how it dies. Could also be the condenser but to me it sounds like that exhaust needs to be properly cleaned out.

Let me know if this info helps šŸ‘

Iā€™m sure the OP appreciates your reply 15 years after he posted his question.

> Game Best Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Make sure you clean the exhaust out every 2-1 years. All that carbon

> build up could be chocking your engine out. You might also have a coil

> getting ready to die, check all connections. Your fuel may also be an

> issue depending on how it dies. Could also be the condenser but to me it

> sounds like that exhaust needs to be properly cleaned out.

>

> Let me know if this info helps šŸ‘ (edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account