Moped turns off when I come to complete stop

I just purchased a Avanti Mont 2001. I drove off the lot ignorant of how the bike works; When I get to a stop light; come to a complete stop the bike turns off; I have to pedal again to start up again. Is this normal? If not how do I fix this?

Re: Moped turns off when I come to complete stop

Your tailight is probably out. Run it on the stand, does the bike start to die when you hit the brakes?

Yes!

Replace your bulb and you're rocking again!

I just changed the bulb - But it still turns off when I come to a complete stop. Could it be idle or something. I don't have to pull the throttle and the moped moves. When on the stand the wheel turns fast; very fast.

Sounds like your idle is set too high. Try turning it down half a turn or so and see what happens.

Do you have the correct bulb for the brake/tail light?

My Vespa Grandes use an 1154 bulb for the brake/tail light. Sometimes I will use an 1157 by mistake and it operates, except stalls when I come to a stop. Apparently, the bulb draws too much current to keep the bike running at idle.

didn't know which to buy. Got a sylvania 53. I also took a look at the gear fluid. Is it suppose to be gray?

Jason Luther /

if it is the bulb (which i doubt) a simple test is to try and idle the bike on the ground, without touching the brakes. if it stalls, its not because of the bulb

It's not the bulb. While on the stand. I can apply front breaks and it's fine. Apply back breaks stopping the wheel or put the moped on the ground and it stops.

I've noticed since I've idled it down; while on the rack as I apply back breaks slowly; I hear a jurky, clicking sound as the moped fights to stay on. If I idle to low my chain jumps and I get the jurky clicking sound.

Hrm, your clutch could be engaging too early... How do the springs look?

mopedwhisperer /

With bike turned off,up on center stand.. turn back wheel by hand ....does motor try to turn over or does it turn freely? If motor tries to turn, the clutch brass bushing or needle bearing in the clutch is stuck to shaft(ran low on oil) or those wonderful rubber clutch bands in that fooker are busted and dragging motor to a stop. Good news is those trannys are not to hard to work on and the parts are available I think avanti is in arizona err something....Hope this helps

Thanks! Now how do I get to the clutch. Is it in the gear box area where oil is filled?

Hi Bill, looks like you're getting plenty of good advice. I don't know about

your Avati Mont bike, but my Sachs demonstrated the same symptoms

til I found the problem to be a cut wire passing thru the fender to the tail

light. Easy fix, electrical tape around the splice. Try the other advice first, and if you still have the problem, then check the tail light wiring.

Fred

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account