puch clanking noise

Hi, I have a 1977 Puch Maxi that I have been trying to get running a little better. It has this clanking noise when idling and at low speeds and tops out around 25 or so. The thing is is that when I got it it was missing the air filter and float needle. Today I made an air filter from a water bottle and some nylons and that helped some, as it wouldn't idle before. Still need to pick up the float needle. Also, I'm not sure if it has the right kind of plug. It has an NGK BR9ES. I have read Fred's guide but haven't been able to check the points gap yet. Is the clanking a timing issue? I'm pretty new to mopeds so any advice will help. Thanks.

Re: puch clanking noise

Jason Luther /

that is totally the wrong plug. you need an NGK B5hs or a champion L86C. I am not sure what that plugs shape is, but it may be too long and hitting the piston head

OMG! that plug is wayyy to long. get a b6hs NGK before you run it anymore or you will put a hole in the top og your piston. get that float needle too....wont run right without it.

Yeah for sure. Get that plug out of there and toss it. Get the piston up to TDC, look in the plug hole with a flashlight and see if you can see any damage to the top of the piston. Repair the carburetor, get a proper air filter, then determine the proper jetting. Better to be rich than too lean. Scary part is how long had it been run like that before you got it. Peace. Jerry.

The plug wasn't in all the way. The ring where the threads are was screwed about half way up the shaft. I will get the right plug though. Thanks

Will an NGK B4HS work just as well?

Jason Luther /

thats a hotter plug. you may run into problems if you motor isnt tuned for it. if you cant get an ngk b5hs or b6hs, then get a champion L86c, that should be easy to come by

agreed.

Also, the plug not being in all the way proably caused a seriouse loss in compression...that might be part of your problems.

If it had been all the way in, he'd probably have a hole in his piston. Peace. Jerry.

Ben Van Zoest /

More likely it has too much rod bearings wear/play on the piston and/or crankshaft side. To check, remove the sparkplug and flywheel cover, push with a pencil's erasor side against piston and rock the flywheel lightly I am sure you can feel the free movement a common problem in puch engines.

How might one go about fixing that?

Ben Van Zoest /

Replaced the sleeve bearings, no piece of cake spitting the crankshaft and realinging after. Look in the Puch manual for instuctions and special tools needed.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account