sealing case halves

hi all

im doing some mods and ordering up the parts for my 70cc kit.

not sure if i will get speed crank but will decide in a day or two.

when i put the case halves back together what are you guys using for a sealer?

yes i split the case to get ready to match the cylinder and have mmi do some porting.

thanks for the reply.

Re: sealing case halves

Jason Luther /

for the maxi, use non-hardening permatex sealant

yes its the maxi that im working on.

thanks for the reply.

See Ya Moped Army /

Yamabond.

where is this product found.

thanks

See Ya Moped Army /

most motorcycle shops.

most yamaha shops

the best thing to use is lock tight gasket eliminator

"permatex":http://www.permatex.com/motorcycle/PermMotoSeal.asp?automotive=yes&f_call=get_item&item_no=29132

Guaranteed to outperform the most popular brands. Gasoline resistant gasket maker is designed for use on motorcycles, watercraft, snowmobiles and karts. Resists high temperatures and performs well at low temperatures. Effective on uneven joint surfaces.

Suggested Applications:

Cylinder head top covers, center & end covers (transmissions), crank case halves, cam covers, transmission case halves, exhaust manifold seals, timing chain cases, cylinder case halves, side covers, clutch housings

important thing to look at is HOW resistant to gas/oil it is, not just IF it is resistant....and vibration too..The suggesstion of using it in the crankcase from the manufacturer is also somewhat reassuring.

available in some automotive shops, call before you visit!

i have that stuff on the shelf.

thanks to all

I use hylomar on all my stuff from manual trannys to engines outboards, cycles, 2 cycles lown mowers and everything in between.It was originally used on rolls royce jet engines and has found it's way to the automotive industry finally. I used it on my puch e50/polini kit case halves last year i've put over 2500 miles on it so far and no problems !

I highly recommend it. I use the tubes shown on the right let it sit 15 minutes to stiffen slightly and put together a little goes a long way just wet both halves less than paper thin.HTH.jim http://www.valco-cp.com/Hylomar.htm

P.S. you can find it also at any good specialty car shop.

Steve Williams /

i go with the yamabond suggestion,has anybody ever used the yamaha carb cleaner?it gets rid of all the varnish and gunk in carbs that have sat for a while,i cannot remember the name of it but it is listed as a yamaha spare,try it,it is superb.

See Ya Moped Army /

Yamabond is good stuff. It is thinly applied to the case halves, and not as a bead.

What about the Permatex Aviation stuff, the black gooky stuff in the little bottle? I use that on most things and don't have any problems.....

I also agree with Mopedlar. Yamabond 6b is the very best. Hondabond 4 works well as well.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account