Cylinder scored, how bad?

Walter Kravitz /

Hey guys. How fixable is a scored cylinder on a 1977 Garelli? Is this something to steer clear of, or is it a minor problem that can be fixed/replaced by a local shop? Thanks!

Re: Cylinder scored, how bad?

i think the question is how bad is it scored?

See Ya Moped Army /

It would need to be bored out and you will need an oversize piston. If the cylinder is scored, the piston and rings will be as well. You're better off getting a new top end.

Walter Kravitz /

Unfortunately, I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know how deep the scoring it. He says it will hit 85 psi right now, so I'm not sure what the equates to as far as damage. Mopedlar, do you think having it bored out and finding an oversized piston would be hard? My real question is, will this bike be more of a headache then it's worth? Thanks for your input, i really appreciate it.

See Ya Moped Army /

85 psi is very low compression. It should be getting around 120 psi or better. If the bike is cheap enough, it's still worth it to get it.

Walter Kravitz /

What should I offer as a buying price? Here is a pic of it from when the guy bought it a few months ago.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/read.php?f=1&i=217225&t=217225

Thanks!

You can get overbore garelli pistons, but after the cost of the piston kit and the overbore, you're looking at another $75-$85.

John Joedicke /

If thats the bike , repair it.

Walter Kravitz /

He won't go under $400. I think that's too much. I told him if he can sell it for that, go for it. I can't pay that much for a bike that might never run right again. Not to mention parts are missing, like the uber-rare speedo drive cable.

See Ya Moped Army /

$400 for that bike is ridiculous. That's a $150 bike.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account