Puch clutch pulling

Please, would someone provide a simple lesson in how to pull this clutch off? I read you could jerryrig a simple puller with a steering wheel puller and a couple bolts. What size? Where do these go into the clutch? I see two threaded holes and assume that's where, but does it just fall off the arm after the middle bolt is removed? Is there a lot of resistance like the magneto side? Sorry if these seem foolish questions, but I don't wanna blow the opportunity.

Re: Puch clutch pulling

Brian Mikami /

I can't help ya, maybe Smitty can...

http://smcmopeds.6.forumer.com/index.php

Jason Luther /

you must remove the 'middle' nut, but then the clutch needs to be pulled off of the crank end. thats where you need a puller, or make our own. to do this....

get a piece of flat steel about 4 inches long (1/4 thick or so) and drill a 3/8 hole in the center, so a bolt can slide through it. then drill two holes in the ends so it lines up with the threaded holes in the clutch. then screw a bolt though the two small holes into the clutch threaded holes. in the center hole use two nuts on either saide of the steel bar so you can tighten the center bolt while the end of it rests against the crank end. this sounds really confussing, but once you do it it makes total sense. the center bolt as you tighten it against the two nuts pulls the clutch off with the two smaller bolts. man, thats confussing

Troy Brown /

GOT A PIC?

Troy Brown /

so this method should work? reason being , I have a few Puch engines that need to be rebuilt due to flooding(huricaneWhilma).So far i have a Impact Driver, with a long enough flathead bit to fit in that deep part of the engine. A Strap wrench to to hold the magneto,A plastic mallet, A flywheel puller, And a vice. I would like to get as far as taking the clutch off, and leave the bearing install to a Pro.I figure, that I can break it down clean it up , and send it with new parts to Smitty to cut down on cost. I still got to see much it will cost,

Jason Luther /

replacing the bearings is the easiest part

hey man

the 2 holes are metric......6mm x 1.0mm thread, available at most hardware stores.

if ya want send me your engine and i can pull the clutch and the bearings too. i have the puch factory tools and its an

easy job. the puch 1 speed engine is really easy to rebuild.

not charge ya much. 3 seals, 15.00, 2 bearings crankshaft,10.00, 2 bearings drive shaft 10.00

you pay shipping both ways

i live in kansas city, 64114

leo

Troy Brown /

look for my email leo

Ben Van Zoest /

I read somewhere on a Belgian site the handle bar clamp could be use as puller. I was going to investigate this suggestion next time I need to open her up..

Buy the bolts at the hardware store, get pretty long ones, and then buy a steering wheel puller at Autozone/Pep Boys/Whatever. They're like $20 and you'll have it forever and it will more than just clutches....

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account