bearing quality

Jason Luther /

to get the bearings i need for an old puch motor (6203, 6204, and 6303) they are about $30 at a local bearing shop. bearing shops on ebay...i can get them for about $5. what should i look for as far as quality is concerned? has anyone gotten ebay bearings, and how were they?

Re: bearing quality

generally speaking, abec rating, its hard to say really...theres alot that goes into making a bearing. Then you get into shielded, double shielded, sealed, open etc...Using the wrong type of bearing in an application can lead to heavily accelerated wear and/or failure.

Don't buy unless its the best. SKF

umm...

There are hundreds of extremely high quality bearing manufacturers (mostly in asian parts of the world) which usually only mass produce, and don't heavily online advertise. Personally I gave up trying to find "performance" bearings for my bike since you simply can't get them unless you have them custom made (and buy like 10000) As far as replacements go, shouldn't be that hard. Bearing shop WILL overcharge alot since its a specialty store and needs money...May or may not be that much better.

Just because they spent alot of money promoting their image doesn't mean its really any better then any other bearing.

The few times I've looked into bearings, the only quality concern was how many RPM's you wanted them rated for. Crankshaft bearings are pretty self explanatory, and the gear bearings will be relative the same range. Just get the same type and size bearings that are rated for the application. Once you know what you want you can always shop around.

Jason Luther /

cool, thanks guys. they are the exact same bearings (number and size) and are rated to (i think 17,000 rpms) so i should be safe. if they seem cheesy, ill just be out $10, and get ones i know are better.

The Mcmaster-carr website has a good explanation of ABEC quality standards under bearings. You can get ABEC-3 from MSC(Manhattan Supply Company) pretty cheap, like $7. $30 from the local bearing shop is crazy, that guy is ripping you off....

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account