Wheel Painting

I wanted to paint my wheels black. Can anyone recommend a paint that won't chip easily, or a method (short of professional painting). Is it just gonna look cheesy either way. Thanks.

Re: Wheel Painting

sand them down and use a good primer and a good brand of paint then hit it with some clear

Jason Luther /

are they chrome now? make sure you sand them so there is no shinyness left. tape off the spokes and do as ryan said.

Also, take your time. Put thin, even coats, becasue paint runs on wheels look really crappy. Allow a good amount of time to finish it, if you do, you will be happy in the end.

ya if i get a pic of my wheels whoever painted them on th back on they didnt do a good job

They sell "wheel paint" it may be more durable but i havent used it.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

Brian Mikami /

I used black epoxy paint on some Puch mags. It does not need primer. Just sand and clean all grease/oil off well. Epoxy is like a thicker, slow dry enamel. Held up well on my truck grille several years.

http://www.lilypix.com/photos/showalbum.php?aid=3688&uuid=729

sand it flat patch up any nicks or dents with bondo. if its in perfect condition or just scratched. sand out the scratches and shiny spots (scuff) and then youj can primer or just put the color coat on. if you're doing metallic (dust the coat of color on. and then dust the clear on. i say dust becuase you dont want the metallic flakes to sit. they need to keep standing to retain its metallic property. after the clear you can flatsand it with increasing grits preventing it from sandthrough then polish. either that or just keep the cloar untouched if you t4hink its good enough. if you are doing metallics remember that you cannot sand metallic color coats. so its either get it right or do it over again. duplicolor makes a rim coating. you can get it in clear i used it to coat my friends maxi and its alot more durable and cures faster than alot of clears. if you have an hvlp gun you can buy 2 part poly. but dohnt ask me about them i dont know how to usae my gun

butnut, those body pieces look awesome! Good work on the prep and paint!!

Brian Mikami /

Thanks zack. Those rims and Magnum parts are part of the Puch80 project bike to be raffled off when it's put together. Smitty is rebuilding the engine now, DonP restored/painted the frame and a lot of folks kicked in parts and money to get this bike in top shape for a killer raffle...someone will ride away this bike for the small price of a raffle ticket. We'll be sure to let everyone know when the bike is done and tickets will be sold.

http://smcmopeds.tripod.com/id15.html

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account