tomos is running

btw this is my first tomos and i just figured out the turn the handle all the way back to engage the throttle.....i am having an idle problem that i tought u might have an idea on......when i start it it idles fine but once i twist the throttle all the way back to engage.... it will stall if i do not keep giving a litle gas but then it wants to lunge b/c i am braking and giving gas to keep it from stalling....if i reach down and push down the start lever thing(is that the choke) it will idle at a stop otherwise it cuts out if i do not stay in the gas?????i have played with the idle screw but this does not seem to make a diff....i just rebuilt this this weekend i checked the spark plug it is chocolatey brown .....well any clues guys...1995 tomos targa lx w/ 70cc kit just rebuilt this weekend..bought it off a kid whoe sort of seized it up

Re: tomos is running

make sure the piston is in correctly? it sounds like it might be upside down, same thing happended to me..

you better hope thats the least of your problems because even worse than that with the same symthoms is a scored cylinder/piston.. make sure you throw oil in the tank even if its oil injected, better safe than sorry

yeah i put some oil in when i built it and started it soon after...i do not know which way the piston goes or that it was specific how can i tell...i guess i will have to open it up now ...damn...well like u said i hope that is the least of it b/c i tried to hone this cyl...i hope it is ok thanks

is your throttle cable too long? Try tightening it some.

i do not think that is it i have played with that quite a bit and when i come to a stop even the littlest bit of throttle causes it to want to lunge forward....i am pretty good with cable tension as i worked on bicycles and vw; however, i hope is that easy i will continue to mess with it until someone tells me how i will know if my piston is upside down or not...i guess i could just flip it and pray...what do you know bout this????

take the engine apart, take the piston off, flip it, and try it.

trial and error. it wont hurt the engine if its backwards, just dont keep it running long if it doesnt work right.

No, Dont just do trial and error on the piston. The window(s) in the piston face the intake side.

What size jet is in the carb? have you tightened the carb on the intake? try tightening the head bolts too.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account