Puch-engine cuts in and out

1 am, 10 miles from home, I leave my friends house. He leaves as well for a booty call from his girlfriend at the time. Im heading home, about a quarter of mile into my journey, my moped starts cutting in and out. It felt as if my spark plug was the issue, i checked it out, everything looked fine, and i cleaned the carb thoroughly, still acting up. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS HAPPEN TO THEM BEFORE, IF SO, ANY DIAGNOSIS' WOULD BE APPRECIATED. Thank You!

Re: Puch-engine cuts in and out

Jason Luther /

ran out of gas

check carb bowl and fuel line for obstructions

Plenty of fuel in the tank, and the carb is immaculate, the bowl is clean and the jet is clear, the air filter is cherry, the spark plug is new.

...anything?

Smitty Smith /

My next guess would be electrical. Check the horn switch and ensure that it is always properly grounded. Puch's have a funky wiring system. I'd check all of the electrical connections, as you may be intermediately loosing spark?

Ben Van Zoest /

Spark plug cap and wire, drove me nuts too...Got new piece cap and wire from a lawn mower shop. Ran perfect since.

mopedwhisperer /

You said everything "looked fine" did you try a NEW plug to rule out the spark plug as the cause ? Check point gap...... put small amount of quality grease on points rub block so they won`t close up again or if the little felt sponge is there that R/C car hobby oil works good or two stoke oil ....hah Check horn wires first!!!!

mopedwhisperer /

I see you got a new plug....oh yea those puch wire juctions can get a little crusty...tighten those little wire clamp screws (not to tight) did the bike get wet (horn)... plug those horn leads together for a quick test. Good luck...

Troy Brown /

horn switch was my problem, took it off& redid the wires cleaned it & in 5minutes you have a horn switch you know shold work.

Thank You

Awesome, thats a good bit of troubleshooting for me to dive into, now I'm waiting for a warm day to tackle all of these suggestions. Thank You all again, I'm appreciative of any suggestions!

Re: Thank You

Your troubled Puch might have the same problems as my

VS 50 Dk had this autumn.

I just needed a fuel filter,as some dirt were moving up and

down in the petrol-cock,and blocking/unblocking due to the

angle of driving.....

Moving dirt is really some shit!!!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account