Clutch nut Stripping, 1978 Motobecane 7

The nut that holds my clutch together and tight keeps on stripping. This is a very odd size nut and has to be ordered from a junk yard. It has now happened twice since I got my moped 2 weeks ago. I have to image that i have a bigger problem on my hands.

The nut stripped a few days after I bought the bike. I got a new nut, put it on and

I rode the ped like a charm for a whole day. The next day the nut was so stripped the clutch started slipping and then the nut just slipped right off. What is going on? Can anyone help me troubleshoot this one? i am sad, I love my ped, but it keeps on leaving me stranded.

Re: Clutch nut Stripping, 1978 Motobecane 7

See Ya Moped Army /

Maybe the threads on the crank are stripped and not the nuts.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

make sure to clean your threads with a wire brush incase something is causing the nuts to strip out.

i had a similar problem with the other side of the crankshaft on my tomos...flywheel essentially cannot stay in one place because of stripped crankshaft threads (timing gets auto-fucked) JB weld actually held it together for a suprisingly long time (absolutely no force from that nut). Re-threading the crankshaft turned out to be impossible, even my shop manager was helping me do it but the metal was so cheap and soft it was useless. We kept stripping both the nut and the crankshaft (yes, even grade 8, i really don't know how it is possible...not THAT much torque...but it happened) Was going to find someone on here with a a35 engine with in-tact crankhsaft in order to fix my bike but the first few people bailed, and after that ive been lazy...and poor.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account