TFR used to do 30 now not

I have a TFR with around 500 miles on it, and when I first got it it topped out on flat ground at 30 mph. Lately I am lucky if I can get up to 25 usually, and have not reached 30 in about a month. Can anyone suggest the problem and perhaps what I could do to remedy this?

Re: TFR used to do 30 now not

Oh yeah, no fuel leakage, starts up fine and idles fine. It seems when I am at WOT it kind of hangs back and slows down compared to when the throttle is at about half.

maybe your getting to much air /gas, have you checked ur plug? did you break this moped in or go wot from the begging? if u went wot from day 1 that could cause you to encounter some problems.

maybe you are getting too much gas. has the weather gotten warmer?

Clogged exhaust?

From your profile I see you live in Norman Ok. Pretty dusty there. Maybe you need to remove your air cleaner and clean the screen filter.

First, just check amd make sure the air filter is seated properly, could be off a bit.

Smitty Smith /

On these new TFR's, I've noticed that the airbox, and / or the rubber pipe from the airbox to the frame may work loose, and thus the engine gets a tad too much air. As Zippy noted, I'd clean and check the filter, and make sure that the airbox and rubber tube are clamped on straight and in place.

Hey, I just went out to see if I could get at anything, and I have no experience in matters such as the air filter. I looked at my parts catalog which has a layout of the air filter, but for the life of me I could not see how it fit into what I was looking at. Should getting out and cleaning the air filter be a hard task? Can anyone point me to a photo collection that could show me what these parts are, and how to go about cleaning them?

The weather has indeed gotten a fair amount warmer, how could this effect my gas? what could I do to fix it?

Yeah, another question

One thing that I actually did accomplish today was checking the rubber tube, and disconnecting/reclamping it.

My other question is this: How tight should the rubber belt be on the left side of the engine? It seems slightly loose and is able to slide in place at certain times, is this a cause for concern or no big deal?

Yeah, another question

The drive belt? It should have no more than about an inch of vertical play.

Re: Yeah, another question

Smitty Smith /

Adjusting the belt tension on the TFR isn't difficult.

Remove the plastic side covers. Loosen the three engine bolts (2 front ones go all the way through both sides of the frame, while the third rear bolt is only on the left side), also loosen the rear exhaust bracket bolt. Move the engine forward, until you have good tension on the belt. You can use a screw dirver in the engine mount bolt slots, to pry the engine forward...then tighten all three mounting bolts, and the exhaust bracket bolt, reinstall the plastic covers, and test. I do NOT recommend running the engine with the clutch side cover off...it could be a real meat grinder to the leg!!!

You need to go back to where you bought it and buy a service manual. You ill then have to read it. It should tell you ho to make all those standard adjustments and repairs.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account