where to find pedal-cotter thing

ok on my 78 puch, the cotter or whatever bolt snapped in half so now i need a new one. i looked on moped warehouse and ebay and cant find any. now that i think about it, this should probably be in the buy sell section but whatever. can anyone help me?

Re: where to find pedal-cotter thing

John Joedicke /

Any bicycle place.

If you have a choice go to the oldest bike shop in town, and bring in the old one for matching- there are about 6 diameters. The cut-out has to be done individually with a file or grinder.

steveintoronto /

they're tapered when you buy them, with a nut on the end. it has to be tapped into place with a rubber mallot, and will expand when you tighten the nut. remember that it will need to be really snug!

i ended up cutting the bolt off and tapping it to run an allen bolt into it. its cleaner that way.

steveintoronto /

slick

untill the allen bolt wears away at your pedal shaft, the bolt itself wears out and the pedal arm starts flopping around. It's already off center now, right?

Dan Webber Kastner /

The nut on those cotter pins is not for installing it, the nut is for holding it in place and keeping it snug only, to install one properly you use what look like a pair of small bolt cutters with a set of jaws that press that cotter pin in to place in your crank, of course a good solid blocking, and a hammer will work as well in a pinch, but you want that pin to be extreamly snug any movment and you will wear the flat spot on the crank axle where the cotter pin sits, runing the pin, the axle and the crank of left unchecked.

I've seen alot of cranks that were used after they started to come loose from not being installed properly, and they are not a pretty thing.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account